sewage in stream

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Norfolk we have a River Trust so out of interest I looked up and you have one,

Carmarthenshire Rivers Trust
Mynydd Bach, Carmarthen SA32 8SD
01558 668697

Worth informing them and I am sure they will be interested.

Carmarthenshire Rivers Trust Their web site is www.thecrt.co.uk/

Mike

Not really TBH - unless there's a bit of cash in it for them.Although they have been pretty good coordinating invertebrate counts etc on small watercourses feeding into the Towy, Caroline Orr was coordinating the invertebrate surveys so if she's still involved it might be worth dropping her a line [email protected]. Can't say much but there seems to have been a bit of infighting there and it's reduced to two people running the show, one, the Chairman passed away yesterday or Sunday. Been a bit busy today and yesterday what with work and SWMBO coming home, so haven't thought too much about this but as chairman of the Carmarthenshire Fishermen's Federation it interests me greatly so if WWB can PM me with exact details/location I'll try and put a bit of pressure on

:thanks:Thanks JBM.

You have other things on your mind BUT you are still her trying.

Yeah! I have an incident Number.
Surprising what just asking for that does. They are going to keep me informed and look into the last time I called them, and what happened then.
As it was such a lovely day, I struggled down to the lower field, (I am not well at the mo,) I was horrified to see the pollution is as bad there too, in the stream in my bottom field. That means the old cemetery is polluted too.

behive1234 said:
Being a Celt, I stupidly thought that the Welsh were PROUD of their country, and didn't intentionally foul their own homeland. Well, they do. Big Style. Perhaps that is because most are Yorkshire people. Left here by some old war. So not Celts, then. We are Clean, and won't take the water charges inflicted on us by conniving, rich, reprobates.

Interesting history lesson, you obviously don't think much of Yorkshire folk and their hygiene habits then.

Last edited:
Thank you Hivemaker for copying what I wrote in anger and then removed having seen reason again. That was very unkind.
I have a one year old chicken in a crate in the kitchen with a tummy bug, although after a few days by the Rayburn she is getting better I hope. My Labrador can't understand why she is being shouted at when she goes near the stream, when it was fun, and now she is getting into trouble. As she will come into the kitchen and her bed covered in slurry. I don't have fencing to put up to stop her and the chickens drinking the water. Even if I did I am too ill to erect it.
I can take pictures. This morning I took pictures of the farmer pumping slurry out or in to the ditch that runs down to the stream. He has been doing this since the Environmental People visited his farm. Unfortunately he saw me and then his mate sprayed, from the road outside my home, into the field opposite.
My irrational dislike of Yorkshire people, displayed in the edited post, comes from having been married to one, who was probably a very bad example. I apologise if I have offended anyone, with the help of Hivemaker.
It just seems as though I am powerless to stop this pollution being dumped in my back garden.

Hopefully you have this sorted now but its not just about your stream, it is going to feed into a larger river system affecting fish. & other wildlife. The Environment agency should be doing more about this, i would have threatened them with the local media if they werent cooperating, being a freshwater angler this makes my blood boil, where is my fishing licence money going??

it is paying people, who. ARE NOT DOING THEIR JOBS
Sorry but that is the truth.
Their are people in Public Sector Jobs up and down this country who are not doing the job that they are being paid for by the tax payer, because they think it is below them.
I know I have spoken to them. They think the tax payer isn't giving them enough to do the job. So they are not going to do it.They want more. They care not that their grandchildren are going to have to work to pay their wages now.
WE don't have a grip on the real world.

The stream in question runs into the river Towy - one of the most important sea trout rivers in the uk and also a renowned salmon river - it's classed as a SSSI due to rare fish such as the Thwaite's shad and lamprey which spawn there. Some of my club members have also seen this deliberate pollution and reported it - I'm in touch with my enforcement contact at NRW to see what they are doing about it.

I am watching a sheep eating the grass covered in slurry in the field opposite my house. Do sheep farmers who pay other farmers for grass, for their pregnant ewes, want them too eat cow silage? just wondered.

Do sheep farmers who pay other farmers for grass, for their pregnant ewes, want them too eat cow silage? just
wondered.

No problem, cows and sheep will both eat silage, even horses will eat it if good quality.

UPDATE.

N.R.Wales today rang me again to let me know the latest. not worthy

Naughty Farmer was letting overflow from slurry pits via a pipe into the 100' (approx..) ditch that falls down to the stream. So when it rained the overflow made it's way into the Avon Gwynon. :nono:

The pipe has been removed/blocked.

Work is still needed to be carried out on the slurry pits themselves. This is on-going.

Their will be a charge to the farmer for the N.R.Wales department time and investigations. Unfortunate, but, should ensure to procure a positive outcome.
I am relieved that things are in place to see this through, to a time, when the stream will be clean again, and I will see weed and life living in it again. Or, 'I will be back.':gnorsi:
I know times are hard for some farmers and will probably get tougher, but our natural world cannot take anymore demands for mans' problems or recreation. If we are to pass some remnant on to future generations.

My hen made a full recovery and is back in the yard.:)
The stream is cleaner, but not clean yet.

Thank you for all your support.
:seeya:

Just had this through from NRW:

Hello Mr Jenkins,

I wanted to update you regarding the pollution in the Afon Gwynon near Maesybont.

I am part of the team referred to in the email below and I have been investigating the pollution in the Afon Gwynon.

I have identified the source and the nature of the pollution and I have also assessed the extent of the pollution.

When I first investigated I checked the river at the next road bridge downstream from where the pollution was reported (a distance of about 900 m) but there was no pollution visible. However, there was evidence of pollution in the stream near Penrhiwgoch.

I traced the source of the pollution and spoke with the site responsible about solutions. He has implemented some of those solutions and it is now up to him to manage things so that the pollution does not occur again. He has told me that he intends to invest in his infrastructure in the longer term but this won’t happen until he has received some advice, which should be towards the end of January.

I checked the steam yesterday and it has improved substantially from my first visit so it seems that the changes the landowner has carried out have worked.

If you see pollution in the Gwynon again or have further queries please do let us know.

Regards

Selby Le Roux

Uwch Swyddog Amgylchedd / Senior Environment Officer
Cyfoeth Naturiol Cymru / Natural Resources Wales

The riparian owners in the area are also on the alert for any more incidents and a senior official in one of the Angling associations lives in Maesybont, sssssssssssso I'm sure he'll keep an eye on things as well.

This morning I found this running down my bedroom wall. I have had rain water coming in before. Must be the Slurry Fairy. LOL

First read of this thread but very interesting as a stream borders my garden with farmland 'tother side - mainly sheep fortunately. However, am very aware of the builders junk that get rolled down in a downpour and have little doubt there is other nasties from time to time. I keep trying to clean up the rubble problem and cart carloads up to the recycling tip but more rolls down. Loads of glass, broken china etc - nearly got a complete tea-set and a bike or two bit by bit. Found this 4-5 years ago buried so that only a corner showed - god knows how long it had been there - and so it goes on. My main concern though is that the local kids paddle in it, accessing it from the public footpath that borders my garden, and risk cuts from the masses of broken glass. I like seeing the kids do what I did some 70 years ago and strongly resent this fly tipping stuff - so I will keep at it. Pity is that I lifted out some forty or more bricks, roof tiles and other junk earlier this year, put it to one side until I could get round to barrowing it away and, bugger me, one of the kids who paddles more than any other had thrown the bloody lot back in the stream. Hopeless.
View attachment 11234

Last edited:
Back