Securing motorised radial extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again gentlemen, I knew there was a wealth of experience to tap into. Looks like the rollers have it at the moment, sat on a containment board. Not sure I want it to waltz too much as concerns about cable kinking and twisting (yes I'm a worrier!!). Just need to get more honey sold to fund the project, thank goodness for farmers markets!......

If you suspend the extractor with rope you will allow the beast to move and you won't damage the floor

Once upon a time, washing machines had open top-loading tubs.
And vertical axis spin dryers.
Typically these were on casters, brought 'out' for use, and allowed to oscillate gently on their casters while spinning. Cables (and hoses) notwithstanding.

Agree absolutely with JBM, fastening the thing down means that the forces get used to flex the extractor and its mountings. The less of that going on, the less chance there is of fatigue failure of welds in the stainless.

I'm delighted with my smooth-running Park motorised extractor. But last year I had some of my late-harvest frames with a touch of crystallisation, which meant that the balance was constantly changing, and had the thing vibrating disconcertingly.
Hence, a mounting board with ball casters is already on my list of things to do before my next extraction session.
I think this should be a better solution than buying the optional roller casters to attach to the extractor's legs.

I have a Th0rne's lightweight plastic radial 9-frame electric extractor, on a Th0rne's 3-leg stand. I have screwed the 3-leg stand to a triangular piece of 18mm plywood. The plywood sits on the floor, no bolts, no castors.
I place a 6" x 18" x 9" concrete building block on the plywood, under the extractor. I have no problem with vibration.
I drain honey from the extractor into 30lb plastic buckets, I tilt the extractor and plywood forward and place a block of wood under the plywood at the back during draining, still with the concrete block in place.

Latest posts

Back