Screw-on bottle vs rubber-ring bottle

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ugcheleuce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7-10
In a farm shop near where I used to live they used the rubber press on ones. We call them kilner jars.
They look smart and you can charge full price for the jar as it is reusable.. I would imagine they are fine for honey as they seal really well. We use them in our kitchen for many things.
E

In a farm shop near where I used to live they used the rubber press on ones. We call them kilner jars.

Thanks. Google tells me about "kilner" jars and "mason" jars, but on Wikipedia both these jars have metal lids. I see the ones shown in the linked URL are are called commonly called "wire bail jars" -- are you familiar with this term?

Mason/kilner jars are not widely known locally (Netherlands) but wire bail ones are... and they're often used for preserves. This makes me concerned that local folks might think that the jar is air-free, vacuum sealed, or heat sealed.

I wonder how many people will assume that the honey had been heated and vacuum sealed, if sold in a wire bail jar. Perhaps I should make sure not to fill it to the top, to make it visually clear that although the jar is leak-free, it isn't a preserve.

You can get both types of kilner jars here. Wire bail was what I was talking about. Suck it and see!
E

I do gift packs of 16oz Kilner jar with honey drizzler in presentation box for £12 a throw. They sell well at shows and at Christmas.

Latest posts

Back