Scottish Native Honey Bee Society

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
The inaugural meeting of the new Society is to take place at Perth on April 1st
2017 from 10.00 to 16:30: Launch meeting of the Scottish Native Honey Bee Society, Lovat Hotel, Perth.

More info on the website.

PH

The inaugural meeting of the new Society is to take place at Perth on April 1st
2017 from 10.00 to 16:30: Launch meeting of the Scottish Native Honey Bee Society, Lovat Hotel, Perth.

More info on the website.

PH

Bit of an unfortunate date !!

... I expect the usual bunch of antis who lurk under bridges on this forum will now post a load of uninformed carp about Amm the native honeybee of the British isles.

:hairpull:

However I wish the SNHBS every success.

Yeghes da

Hope it's a success.

Edit: I did notice the date but didn't mention it ... fuel, fire and all that.

Last edited:
Oh....I don't know,
Somebody on the Flow forum asked if they could keep native stingless bees in a Flow hive

In India possibly.... but those stingless honey making bees are so tiny it would have to be a tiny Wottinger / Pontipine sized Flow's hive!:icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

Sorry PH
Best of luck. I see it has been in the planning for some time

Attachments

• xfinger-banner-7660-2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.qIDyd-eMe_.jpg
    xfinger-banner-7660-2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.qIDyd-eMe_.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 40
FFS people of course they are not stingless.

However they wear appropriate clan tartans and play miniature pipes by blowing up the drones bums.

Oh and they are very capable in cold and wet weather of managing to find a wee drappie. Problem being of course they are very fond of a wee dram too.

PH :icon_204-2:

This is a new society. SNHBS is about to have its official launch on the 1st April
The steering group behind the society so far has produced a constitution suitable for it to receive charitable status, set up a web site, Facebook page, and twitter account. It has also booked a central location for its inaugural meeting in Perth on 1st April (this date was decided so that it did not clash with other bee related events in Scotland)
At that meeting the members will decide what direction the new society will take in conserving our native Scottish bees

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a new society. SNHBS is about to have its official launch on the 1st April

Thanks Jimbo. I could see that the meeting wasn't until April but I just wanted to leave a request for an update when it happens.
May I suggest that one of the first things to be discussed is how to ensure the authenticity of any stock produced.

We already have Andrew Abrahams on Colonsay providing queens to some bee breeding projects. Ardnmurchan is also producing queens as well as other groups mainly in the West coast of which we know the providence
There has been some surveys done on bee stocks in Scotland which has turned up other Amm hot spots but in the main the best Amm areas are in the West.
One issue we have though is most of these areas are still varroa free so as well as bringing non native stock into the area it could also destroy our varroa free status
I expect there is a lot of work for this new society, as well as conserving our native stock by breeding suitable stock by bee breeding groups we would need to lobby the Scottish government to extend the conservation area they gave to Colonsay to other areas of Scotland and to work with our Universities in various bee research projects

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back