Scented candles.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Having made a few scented candles as a commission I’d like to keep the mould.
Is there any way you can get a the scent out of a silicone mould?

I’ve heard of people using either baking soda or warming in the oven for 30mins at 180c. Never tried it myself though.

Send me a good quality cast of the mould (or two so there's a backup) and I can make you a new one for the cost of the silicone and postage.

Really? I will thanks. What do you use to make the cast?
Edit.Thanks Will that's a really kind offer. I've discovered you use plaster of Paris, I've looked up the costs and postage etc but considering the cost of the mould from Abelo, it's likely not worth it. I think I shall try burying it in cat letter for a few months

Last edited:
Really? I will thanks. What do you use to make the cast?
Edit.Thanks Will that's a really kind offer. I've discovered you use plaster of Paris, I've looked up the costs and postage etc but considering the cost of the mould from Abelo, it's likely not worth it. I think I shall try burying it in cat letter for a few months
Sorry just seen this. I use a wax cast for mine rather than plaster of paris and seems to work fine.

Where in Wales are you?

Having made a few scented candles as a commission I’d like to keep the mould.
Is there any way you can get a the scent out of a silicone mould?
Soak in hot water and detergent with several changes? May not get rid of it completely but it will surely help. It's why we don't re-use honey glass jars from a dubious source as pickles or chutney taint the jars even though they are glass and you would think they would be impervious to vinegar

Sorry just seen this. I use a wax cast for mine rather than plaster of paris and seems to work fine.

Where in Wales are you?
Wil I’m in Ceredigion.
I’ll give the frequent washing a go. I’ve cast a candle from it and the scent has gone into the wax. I suspect a mould made from that would take on the scent.

Soak in hot water and detergent with several changes? May not get rid of it completely but it will surely help. It's why we don't re-use honey glass jars from a dubious source as pickles or chutney taint the jars even though they are glass and you would think they would be impervious to vinegar
Thanks Gary
I’m beginning to wish I hadn’t used a scent at all. I won’t bother again. Scented wax is ok in tins…. End of.

Latest posts

Back