Rust released to kill balsam

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alldigging

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
http://www.anglingtrust.net/news.as...am&section=29&sectionTitle=Angling+Trust+News

Not-for-profit research organization, CABI, will be releasing a rust fungus at locations in Berkshire, Cornwall and Middlesex as part of field trials to control the non-native, invasive weed Himalayan balsam (Impatiens glandulifera) using natural means.

What'll grow in it's place? How much of a crop do beekeepers gets off balsam?

My bees get some and have been working it for a couple of weeks now. It's not enough for any increase but it keeps the bees happy. This year it seems that there is more of it about and perhaps it likes long hot summers.

Three metres high?

Seems to me to be the absolute maximimum - maybe in its optimum native habitat? I have not seen it that high, but perhaps my observations have not been particularly widespread.

How tall have you seen it, without exaggeraton? Or does it really get that tall?

Three metres high?

Seems to me to be the absolute maximimum - maybe in its optimum native habitat? I have not seen it that high, but perhaps my observations have not been particularly widespread.

How tall have you seen it, without exaggeraton? Or does it really get that tall?

Not seen it that tall. What I saw on a recent walk was about 3-4ft tall.

The Japanese knotweed towers over me though.

the rust .. "does not impact on native species."

So what other non-natives will it affect?

Last edited:
Early days yet. It won't be in my life time that they will erradicate the HB from this country if ever. Spread to far and wide.

In a previous location where I lived and had balsam it would easily reach 2 metres and provide enough food for all my bees for winter.....none here though!
E

Round here now - a lot over six feet tall, maybe some getting towards nine feet. On the river Cothi corridor, between four and six feet

Three metres high?

It used to grow to around five feet on a silting up creek on the banks of the Yorkshire Ouse at Howdendyke

I have not come across it in or around Norwich, don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

http://www.anglingtrust.net/news.as...am&section=29&sectionTitle=Angling+Trust+News

Not-for-profit research organization, CABI, will be releasing a rust fungus at locations in Berkshire, Cornwall and Middlesex as part of field trials to control the non-native, invasive weed Himalayan balsam (Impatiens glandulifera) using natural means.

What'll grow in it's place? How much of a crop do beekeepers gets off balsam?

As for what will grow in its place hopefully the mix of native grasses and flowers that were there before it took over.

It's an impatiens, so presumably it could affect busy lizzies and New Guinea Hybrid inpatiens.

I live on a remote Peninsula in the NorthWest Highlands with no road network and a 1 mile crossing across the loch.

Yesterday I noticed that it is nw growing on the shore bank, so if it can get here it will get anywhere!

Or when it's found to impact on a native species the researchers are blithely unaware of who gets held responsible?

As for what will grow in its place hopefully the mix of native grasses and flowers that were there before it took over.

Excessive amounts of rosebay willowherb I think ... it used to be a different pink that filled the banks.

Three metres high?

I had some HB grow in our raspberry patch amongst the canes. After some 30 years of applying compost on top of clay soil, the land is very fertile and retains water well. In 2012 the one plant I allowed to survive grew to a height of around 2.5 meters and the stem had a diameter at the base of around the size of my wrist - ie about 13cms.. (yes I am Mr Puniverse)

the next year I had to hoe a lot to remove the seedlings.

This year I cut one down hidden at the end of the same row of rasps: it had just started flowering and was about the same height.

So 3 meters could be possible in fertile damp soil...

Back