Rose Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hi all, not been around for a while, but have alway's followed "working with nature" on you tube, and doing so lead me to watch this film about the rose hive.

now looking back to when I first started, (I still class myself as a beginner) but I'm a full time pest controller for london underground, now when we use to get swarms within station grounds, we would say, it's not classed as a pest, it'll move on, but in some instances it's not viable to leave them in situ.
They maybe in a shunting shed, or close to members of the public or workers, and therefore, leaving them is not an option, and as a normal bee keeper could not be called upon, due to not having the certification needed to enter station grounds, it made sense for me to become a bee keeper

Looking back, my first reason was purely for the bees survival, the idea of pinching honey was way down at the bottom of my list, a cheap hive came first, as we can have many swarm calls in a good summer, so I was lead to top bar hives (home made) and I still have the first two I made over an allotment out apairy (empty) but if Im honest, I never had much luck getting bees through winter with them, so I went onto nationals, everyone uses them (my mentor) at present have two in the garden, both in use

now some of you may know I own a wood, and plan on siting a few commercial hives there, but watching this video, makes the ROSE HIVE look a good contender, and in line with my way of keeping bees, so Im going to try the idea, using commercial supers, and if all goes well, then I'll start getting some in next year

http://youtu.be/XyZ-5AjXfHE

Well, credit to you for being so positive about bees. Once you build up a list of contacts it should be quite easy for you to pass on collected swarms.

With beekeeping, people might at first go out and buy new kit. Then they think 'Blimey, this stuff ain't cheap. I'll have to see what I can get second-hand'. Pont being: You don't get second-hand Rose kit.

If you are sold on this 'one size of box' idea - which certainly has value to some - note that it doesn't need to be Rose. Lots of beeks around the world use Langstroth Medium, ie. standard brood, in this way. But if you are a weed like me you have to watch the weights.

Well, credit to you for being so positive about bees. Once you build up a list of contacts it should be quite easy for you to pass on collected swarms.

pass them on!!! are you mad,lol, I have 7 acres of woodland to house them on

With beekeeping, people might at first go out and buy new kit. Then they think 'Blimey, this stuff ain't cheap. I'll have to see what I can get second-hand'. Pont being: You don't get second-hand Rose kit.

the price of hives is what delayed me getting into bees for the first year, the two TBH cost me £14 the pair to build, but after that I picked up a 2nd hand nation, and then four commercials

If you are sold on this 'one size of box' idea - which certainly has value to some - note that it doesn't need to be Rose. Lots of beeks around the world use Langstroth Medium, ie. standard brood, in this way.

yup, that was the idea of using commercial supers to start with

But if you are a weed like me you have to watch the weights.

yup again, not so much a weed, but bad back,lol, could always build a lift, like what they use with warre

"pass them on!!! are you mad,lol, I have 7 acres of woodland to house them on"

Damn...... and there was me going to say I'm able to take some from you if they are going spare! Lol

Dunno if it's relevant, but I've gone 'one size' with National deeps (DN4's). Most of my working hives are long hives, so supers (SNx) don't figure with those, and anyway I don't use an extractor.
So - I've now turned all my National supers into broods by courtesy of 75mm ekes, which have OMFs fixed to their underside, and entrances cut into one side.

To save the back, whenever I pull a frame it goes into a 6-frame NUC box, and if in the future should I ever find myself needing to carry these any distance, then I'll fit a couple with carrying handles, as per 'cool boxes'.

Nice to have your own wood, eh ?

LJ

Damn...... and there was me going to say I'm able to take some from you if they are going spare! Lol

are you a member of the thurrock bee club?
if not, look into it, you can then get on their list for swarm collection
or phone the council and offer your services

Nice to have your own wood, eh ?

LJ

yup, only possible due to inheritance money from parents, but it gives us something to do on a weekend

are you a member of the thurrock bee club?
if not, look into it, you can then get on their list for swarm collection
or phone the council and offer your services

I didn't even know there was a Thurrock bee club!!
Thanks, I'll check that out straight away :)

My details are already held by Thurrock council and I have some signs up at my work and at the Veterinary Practice that my wife works at but I haven't received any swarm calls this year as yet.

I didn't even know there was a Thurrock bee club!!
Thanks, I'll check that out straight away :)

here's the website, friendly bunch (sometimes) lol

http://www.thurrockbeekeeping.com/#

reminds me I need to renew my membership, just returned from a swarm call out via the council, told them it would be bumble bees, but as normal get told, no its definitely honey bees, arrive to see bumbles, oh well it's all money for old rope,lol

I might get up the club on the 21st, so may see you there? Im a night worker so tend to miss club nights

Thanks Ratcatcher
I had found it and was planning on sending them a message at some point today/tomorrow.
Hopefully see you there on the 21st.

One size box almost invariably means that brood is spread over two boxes. To lots of beeks, this sucks.

I used to have my number on the council lists for Thurrock, barking, Romford and Basildon. I would collect 25-30 swarms a year. the councils pass your number more if you a reliable, I asked for a donation which ranged from £5 - £100.

Latest posts

Back