Roof

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waveydavey

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Hi,

This may be a daft question as i'm completely new to all this, but is there any reason for a metal roof cover? Or is there any reason to not simply waterproof the roof?

thanks

Not a daft question. A metal roof will last many years and also take a good bit of abuse along the way but as long as the roof is watertight and you are prepared to do a bit of repair if and when needed then it matters not what the roof covering is.

You can rest a hot smoker on a metal roof.

On polystyrene hives, a hot smoker makes a very nice impression or even a hole if left long enough.. (people do it a lot)

If you ask your local printers, they may be able to give or sell you used Lytho aluminium sheets to make into your roofs.

A few notes based on my experiences:

1. Depending on the size of the printers, make sure your car is big enough to put them in. You shouldn't put them on the roof for safety reasons. Bring some duct tape to secure the sheets into a roll, but be very careful when undoing the tape as they whip open with considerable force.

2. Where possible, wear gloves. Edges can be VERY sharp

3. Score sheets on a straight edge with a Stanley knife and finish cut with substantial scissors or by bending back and forth at the score line.

4. I bent sheets by clamping into a B&D Workmate and gently pushing to a right angle.

5. You need to snip the corners to get the correct fit then pre-drill before nailing.

As ever, trial and error will get you a good finish after you have messed up the first time!!

attachment.php

Hi,

This may be a daft question as i'm completely new to all this, but is there any reason for a metal roof cover? Or is there any reason to not simply waterproof the roof?

thanks
Same reasons a 'tin roof' was a popular covering for lots of buildings. Waterproof, lasts a long time. Tough enough to bear some handling including strapping down or bricks on top. Doesn't crack when cold or melt when hot. Naturally UV resistant. Doesn't go porous and crumble after freezing or de-laminate. Galvanised steel adds a bit of weight which resists blowing off. Boring insect, woodpecker and rodent resistant. Cool in summer with ventilation and/or insulation underneath, as still popular for houses in sunnier climes.

Some use various bitumen based felt coverings, particularly for nuc boxes that are not out year round. Some just paint the wood. Cheaper but needs replacing or repainting every few years and there's always the leakage risk.

Hi,

To add to what the others have said, when you dismantle the hive to inspect the brood frames, the normal thing to do is to upturn the roof to use as a base for all the other bits being removed. A few honey supers makes for quite a lot of weight pressing down on your roof covering. If there are stones in the ground, that paint or fabric covering could be rather easily damaged.
'Tin' may not be bulletproof, but it is (mostly) beek-proof.

If you are building or assembling your own, you can improve things by incorporating some insulation. I've put some ordinary expanded polystyrene between 'tin' and wood on mine.

Some folk here make entire roofs (or over-roof caps) out of PU foam building insulation board... and then treat them quite gently!

Last edited:
You can rest a hot smoker on a metal roof.

On polystyrene hives, a hot smoker makes a very nice impression or even a hole if left long enough.. (people do it a lot)

Not saying its a good idea, but just yesterday I saw some 'tins' made up to fit Pains poly nucs ...

Correx makes a great and cheap roof, as long as you don't mind bending to place the smoker on the ground

Woodpeckers. If you've got them in the area, they will go though a felt roof in minutes - it looks like someone has been shooting your roof with cricket balls. Tin seems to give them a headache.

The reason for metal is cheapness and longevity so suitable for purpose. As simple as that. Flat roofs (most common) are not good with timber of any sort with simple water-proofing surface coating.

It matters not a jot whether it is steel, aluminium or other, more exotic, metals. All have their upsides and downsides.

Latest posts

Back