roof blown off poly nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyphibb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just been out to take a look to see if the bees are ok as the weather here is really windy and wet, and one of the roof and crown board had blown off one of our poly nucs,At first glance i thought the bees were dead but i put the crown board and roof back on closed the entrance and brought them into the utility room lifted the roof off and the bees are quite active so my feeling is to keep them in the utility room over night as the temp is dropping and is going to be about 1degrees through the night, Its not to warm but its dry and out of the wind. What are your thoughts beeks???

Last edited:
Personally, I'd leave them where they are* with a big brick on. ASAP I would then scrounge a 100mm (min 75mm) piece of reticel and put it on the crown board with a HEAVY weight (I have 2 400mmx400mmx13mm paving slabs on mine) for a good thermal fit. You can worry about taping edges etc later: I haven't done mine yet.

* ADD i.e. the apiary site, not the utility room.

Last edited:
Weights are for dummies... and strong men:).. Hive straps round hive AND stand are far better. If hive gets blown over, hive stays together..

(Useful it it floods as well - poly hives +bees float)..

IT must be very difficult task to adult people to take care of hives' roof.

simple mistake forgot to put the strap back on after applying fondant won't happen again back out and strapped thanks all.

Weights are for dummies... and strong men:).. Hive straps round hive AND stand are far better. If hive gets blown over, hive stays together..

:iagree:
The strapping down of hives and onto frames stopped mine being washed away in the last lot of floods to hit around my area. Corner of hive dipped into water but bees were fine I'm glad to say.:)

Personally. I'd leave them in the utility room overnight and move them back outside tomorrow, after storm Imogen has disappeared. Your bees has suffered a significant thermal shock - exposed to high winds and low temperature for an unknown period, so a little bit of TLC won't go amiss. Another reason for leaving them overnight is that moving bulky items around in the dark, in the wind with occasional showers is a risky proposition. If this were "at work" and you had to do a risk assessment, I'm sure the conclusion you would come to would be "leave it 'til the morning".

CVB

How much you have wind there. I have seen from news that there are much!

I see from internet 26 mph in Cornwall.

Last edited:

:iagree:

Always use hive straps. Luckily I don't have to worry about flooding at any of my apiaries but one is quite exposed to wind so I use a pair of ground anchors to pass the strap through and now there is no chance of anything being blown over!

Gusts of 90 to 100 mph in some places according to a programme this morning

Today, I'd agreed to help our RBI sort out a huge amount of kit.
So I checked my weather app, because I knew bad weather was due to hit those poor southerners.

The app said it would dry up about 10:00; then be warm and pleasant.
I dressed accordingly.

When I got there, it was persisting down, cold and windy - and got worse!
I got totally soaked, chilled to the bone and very muddy.

Eventually I gave up after lunch and went home, checked the app again. I'd only been looking at the weather forecast for Rome - where we're going for a long weekend in a couple of weeks......

Pillock.

Dusty

Weights are for dummies... and strong men:)..

The understandable assumption was made, as the OP had reported the roof blown off that straps weren't available. Weights are better than nothing was my thoughts - all mine are strapped down (but roofs are heavy enought to stand most winds

How much you have wind there. I have seen from news that there are much!

I see from internet 26 mph in Cornwall.

Biggest wind gust in Torpoint - HMS Raleigh - was 68 knots (over 80 mph). 38mm of rain but this must have been an under-measurement because the rain was horizontal! Biggest waves out in Looe Bay were just under 6 metres.

CVB

Latest posts

Back