rhombus board - really needed ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives
Taking a super off the top of my national hives ... I normally stack it on the lid then shake the bees (or brush them off) ... do this frame by frame .. until i have a detached super full of frames ..ok there are sometimes a few straggler bees ...but they soon get the message

The rhombus board ... sounds a faff as you have to put it under the super ... then return a few hours later ...

or am i missing something ?

Yes, about 70 to 80 supers to brush the bees off. The novelty soon wears off.
I do brush off when it suits, currently clearing about 10-12 supers....brushing would be a real faff.

Taking a super off the top of my national hives ... I normally stack it on the lid then shake the bees (or brush them off) ... do this frame by frame .. until i have a detached super full of frames ..ok there are sometimes a few straggler bees ...but they soon get the message

The rhombus board ... sounds a faff as you have to put it under the super ... then return a few hours later ...

Do that times 20 hives and you'll soon get pissed off with the bees going back in the supers well before you do the last one.....

It takes two minutes to lift the supers off and stick a clearer board on.

It would be a faff to have to return 'a few hours later'. I insert the rhombus clearer boards (one under each box) at least 24 hours before removing the box(es). I sometimes wait 48 hours. Usually scarcely any bees fail to clear.

There are as many ways of getting bee's out of supers as there are beeks who think they've invented something new in beekeeping.

Choose your poison and enjoy but I won't be brushing.....

I am a firm believer in keeping it simple. I have only the minimum of kit and I spend nothing on the bees. In a back yard situation with neighbours close by, I like to keep the bees in the air to a minimum. Buying a rhombus escape and making a clearer board costs less than £2.00 and they clear bees brilliantly with hardly any intrusion on the colony. For me it’s the winner every time.

Commercial beekeeper told a conference that I was attending. Clearing lots of hives is easy with benzaldehyde on an old pillowcase. They hate the smell and exit the super within a minute.

Last edited:
Yes, tape off the other hole though :)
I'd screw or pin rather than tape. Bees have been know to chew it off.

Commercial beekeeper told a conference that I was attending. Clearing lots of hives is easy with benzaldehyde on an old pillowcase. They hate the smell and exit the super within a minute.

I used to use benzaldehyde but am under the impression that it was banned a few years ago.

I used to use benzaldehyde but am under the impression that it was banned a few years ago.

Benzaldehyde and similar chemicals are natural in many foods. Most of the benzaldehyde that people eat is from natural plant foods, like almonds and it smells almondy.

benzaldehyde - if you go in that direction .... do you get food grade stuff off amazon ?

or is there somewhere good to get this ?

(seems a quick solution ... liquid on an old pillow case so tempted to try it)

One major advantage of an efficient clearer board over shake and brush is that hives are open for an absolute minimum of time. By the time several supers have been shaken/brushed, there will be a lot of bees in the air and a strong smell of honey. It can cause mayhem in an apiary, especially at this time of the year; it can lead to robbing, whether by bees or wasps or both! Trust me, got the tee-shirt!!:redface:

I don't disagree when practical. When you have a 40 mile round trip to an apiary site then sometimes you need to live with a little mayhem.

I often use beequick.works well in warm weather but not so good when cooler.

Mmmm, I know. I, too, have a 40 mile round trip, which is why I have always done it. But, I have also regretted it too....

I now have the luxury of a bit more time so, get out early, put the boards on, visit friends/go for a walk etc and at least 2 supers/hive are clear enough within four hours. Tis much more relaxing for me and the bees, "quicker" in terms of time spent hive side and I have peace of mind!

PS Never tried chemical repellents as I try to keep "extras" to a minimum, but maybe I'll give it a try next year

Last edited:
PS Never tried chemical repellents as I try to keep "extras" to a minimum, but maybe I'll give it a try next year

Was thinking along the same lines myself...no clouds of bees flying around getting excited.

Back