Rethreading a crown of thorns

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When are you taking up embroidery Giles?
It was almost de rigeur in the Andrew way back when, quite a few examples of fine needlework in the museum at the Royal Dockyard in Pompey as I recall. It gave the grunters something wholesome to fiddle with during their down time.

When are you taking up embroidery Giles?
I did a lot of embroidery as a child eg the cover of our telephone directory. I think the reason my mother taught me was that she had really hoped for a girl.......

I did a lot of embroidery as a child eg the cover of our telephone directory. I think the reason my mother taught me was that she had really hoped for a girl.......
Nowadays you just can't tell but you have to wait until you are at least 4 years old to decide for yourself....................... or you might want to be a dog

The threads on my COT became undone so I've attempted to rethread it but it's not as easy as I imagined.The central holes seem alarmingly big while those at the edge look smaller, which makes sense when you look at the thorns from below - each parallel string is closer to its neighbour at the edge of the circle that they are across the middle. I'm both fat-fingered and spatially challenged which might explain it, nor do I have an original to compare.
My late mother persuaded me to apply for a Navy cadetship when I was about 15. The IQ test tasks were spatially difficult so fortunately I failed the entrance exam.
Maybe we could have a timed trial on the forum of who can rethread a COT quickest?
I'm utterly feckless so well done- I bought 3 COT's from Ireland and they've been made with wire mesh instead if thread. Obviously I have to be more careful so I don't injure the queen, but I'm finding them much easier to keep clean and more robust

Obviously never field trialled in China! The lengths beekeepers will go to, just to save a penny never ceases to amaze!
Wasnt the money - more - lets make this work better. Ive have plenty of free time and I love mending things.
I only use it to to keep the Q from running away whilst I sort myself and pen out. I prefer to use my sponge plunger in tube thing to mark my Qs rather than pick them up as I have rather fat thumbs. I cannot oppose thumb and little finger, nor touch my palms with their respective thumbs.

Last edited:
Wasnt the money - more - lets make this work better. Ive have plenty of free time and I love mending things.
I only use it to to keep the Q from running away whilst I sort myself and pen out. I prefer to use my sponge plunger in tube thing to mark my Qs rather than pick them up as I have rather fat thumbs. I cannot oppose thumb and little finger, nor touch my palms with their respective thumbs.
Ouch, that must be limiting.
I'm constantly reminded how flexibility deteriorates with age. As a child I could bend my thumbs backwards to touch my forearms - but now less than half way.
[Spoiler, the following could be too much information for gently-nurtured readers], I was a nail biter as a child and could lie in the bath and bite my toenails. As I haven't had a bath for years now I'm not able to assess my current ability.

[Spoiler, the following could be too much information for gently-nurtured readers], I was a nail biter as a child and could lie in the bath and bite my toenails. As I haven't had a bath for years now I'm not able to assess my current ability.
Definite;y a surfeit of information and GROSS ... ughhh .. biting your own (or anyone else's) toenails ....

Definite;y a surfeit of information and GROSS ... ughhh .. biting your own (or anyone else's) toenails ....
Apols for causing upset - I did wonder if it would result in me being banned from the forum for life. At least my toes were relatively clean: I was subject to the tyranny of having to bath every night throughout childhood. I have never forgiven my parents......

Apols for causing upset - I did wonder if it would result in me being banned from the forum for life. At least my toes were relatively clean: I was subject to the tyranny of having to bath every night throughout childhood. I have never forgiven my parents......
We had a tin bath hung on the back wall of the house until I was 8 years old ... I got a bath once a week whether I needed it or not .. in front of the fire in the kitchen ... followed in the same water by Mum and Dad ... we knew about hygiene in those days. Even when we got a bathroom installed - with a gas geyser for hot water rather than the huge kettle on the range - it was still once a week but we all got our own water !

The threads on my COT became undone so I've attempted to rethread it but it's not as easy as I imagined.The central holes seem alarmingly big while those at the edge look smaller, which makes sense when you look at the thorns from below - each parallel string is closer to its neighbour at the edge of the circle that they are across the middle. I'm both fat-fingered and spatially challenged which might explain it, nor do I have an original to compare.
My late mother persuaded me to apply for a Navy cadetship when I was about 15. The IQ test tasks were spatially difficult so fortunately I failed the entrance exam.
Maybe we could have a timed trial on the forum of who can rethread a COT quickest?
If you email me at; [email protected] I can provide you with a drawing for threading the press in cage, then you can have real fun and scratched fingers!!!!
Regards
Brian

We had a tin bath hung on the back wall of the house until I was 8 years old ... I got a bath once a week whether I needed it or not .. in front of the fire in the kitchen ... followed in the same water by Mum and Dad ... we knew about hygiene in those days. Even when we got a bathroom installed - with a gas geyser for hot water rather than the huge kettle on the range - it was still once a week but we all got our own water !
You and I was brought up in South Yorkshire around Mexborough. Times was hard but Cleanliness was judged to be next to Godliness. Could explain why I became an atheist......

Latest posts

Back