Requeening: how early? how late?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zante

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Considering a mated queen, when is the earliest in the season that it is feasible to requeen a hive?

When is the latest so not to compromise... I don't know... I'll ask that next.

What damage can you do if you requeen too early?
What about too late?

When is the best period to requeen so not to have too much losses both in the honey and in the brood production (I suppose the latter influences the former)?

Read brother Adams book I think he would requeen most of his production hives in March. The Bees are unlikely to reject her as it's too early to requeen naturally.

My first batch of mated queen are ready now and I am requeening my colonies which need it, this will give me strong colonies for the heather.

My first batch of mated queen are ready now and I am requeening my colonies which need it, this will give me strong colonies for the heather.
well done. How many did you manage to raise?

Considering a mated queen, when is the earliest in the season that it is feasible to requeen a hive?

When is the latest so not to compromise... I don't know... I'll ask that next.

(1) Jan 1st.
(2) Dec 31st.

same, my second batch Queen cells are now emerging in 2 frame mating nucs (dummied down six frames 14x12 nuc boxes that i can over winter if necessary

Back