Requeen or not.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

666bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 swarms, 1 14x12 nuc, national nuc
This Thursday will be two weeks after the new queen should have hatched. Thought I would just have a quick peek today but after lifting the suppers off and the bees went mad quickly put it back together. They also followed me for about 70 meters.

A: Could it be that the virgin queen is not mated/laying yet
B: Just needs requeening.

Will do a full inspectiion this Friday and look for the queen. But peoples thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Less than two weeks? It could be four. Depends a lot on the weather.

What time did you open them up? You should not open them around a possible mating flight time.

OSR has gone over or is close to it. They may be more defensive because the flow has ended.

Was the weather a bit stormy? Electric storms in particular, can make them tetchy.

Changed deodorant/aftershave/perfume/hair spray/etc, beesuit just been laundered, mobile phone, just had a curry or similar.

So it could be one or more of several reasons, incuding your 'A' or 'B'.

RAB

PS BTW today was yesterday!

Take it you thing the queen has not mated or has gone awol?

Oliver I tried to inspect them about 10:30 yesterday morning. But they have been foul ever since they went queenless. Thought they may have started to settle down by now.

RE v: CURRY... was the wind from the South East..... a Balti wind..... even my dog gets tetchy if she smells that pong!!!

It is not often that you get a colony with no queen it, but it is always a possibility. If you made balls-ups and perhaps accidentally destroyed queen cells, then there is more of a case for thinking that they are queenless. Inserting a test frame is the way to find out, but with one colony that is not an option.

Since I first started keeping bees it has consistently taken a long time, typically of the order of 3/4 weeks, for queens to start to lay. Why would it only take a couple of weeks when we live in Northern Europe? Beekeepers in places like Cyprus and Hawaii get queens mated and laying in a couple of weeks.

Back