Replace sugar with honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can anyone tell me how many Grams of honey is equivalent to 225 grams of caster sugar! Have so much honey that I want to start using it more in cooking! Any wise person know? Starting with a Victoria sponge as an experiment
Thanks
E

Thanks Derek, what a forum of knowledge.....I am humbled!
E

Don't forget to reduce the amount of liquid, too, Enrico. I work on 30g of honey to replace every 25g sugar, and reduce the overall liquid content by a quarter - not so easy if the only liquid is egg, though.

Thanks for that, will have a play when it rains! Already make proper honey and ginger cake which is amazing ( well my wife does!!) so thought we (she) would give this a go!
E

Water requirement is down by the difference, so c.50ml. I don't think closer than 5ml is worth bothering with.

The workings for honey replacement are:

(100 - % water in honey)/100, divided into the original weight of sugar.

The water content and sugar content are not absolute figures as there are other minor components in honey. No need to worry about replacing flour with the pollen, per eg.

Last edited:
Don't forget to reduce the amount of liquid, too, Enrico. I work on 30g of honey to replace every 25g sugar, and reduce the overall liquid content by a quarter - not so easy if the only liquid is egg, though.

Yes, bit of a problem with a sponge cake!

Here, 225g of sugar is being replaced by about 280g of honey, so there's going to be an extra 55g (55ml) of water being added to the mix.
That might well matter for a sponge!

At the Oke. Show last week one of the recipes for the honey cookery comp. was brownies with honey.
None of the entries rose, all dipped in the middle.
The judge accepted that the addition of the honey messed up the 'normal' mix proportions.

All very tasty but didn't look good.

Tim.

Well the honey and ginger cake works fine! Attached photo, still haven't made the sponge yet, might have to wait until tomorrow but I promise I will post a photo of that too!
And don't you dare turn it upside down redwood!
E

Last edited:
Well the honey and ginger cake works fine! Attached photo, still haven't made the sponge yet, might have to wait until tomorrow but I promise I will post a photo of that too!
And don't you dare turn it upside down redwood!
E

Doh you spoilt my fun now, I am rather fond bit of up side down pudding.
Nice cake enrico, two of my favourite ingredients are honey and ginger

The attached 'should' be the recipes used at our show.
The sponges were great but as I've said the brownies didn't work

Tim.

Thanks eggman,
The brownies, according to my wife, have not got enough flour and baking powder would have been better than bi carb! But, cake in the oven now, we have used 80 grams of honey and 60 grams of sugar, 140 Gms of flour but only130 grams eggs plus usual things...my wife cooks by instinct so we will see!
........here it is, a chocolate honey cake, will keep swapping sugar for honey till it doesn't work any more......omg I am going to be a lard ar&e!!!

Last edited:
Any recipes you and Mrs E willing to share Enrico? Need to use last years honey to make space for this years.......

HONEY CAKE

INGREDIENTS
· 250g clear honey , plus about 2 tbsp extra to glaze
· 225g unsalted butter

· 100g dark muscovado sugar

· 3 large eggs , beaten
· 300g self-raising flour

METHOD
Cook for between 1hr and 1hr 15mins

Check after 45 mins

1. Preheat the oven to fan 140C/ conventional 160C/gas 3. Butter and line a 20cm round loose-bottomed cake tin. Cut the butter into pieces and drop into a medium pan with the honey and sugar. Melt slowly over a low heat. When the mixture looks quite liquid, increase the heat under the pan and boil for about one minute. Leave to cool for 15-20 minutes, to prevent the eggs cooking when they are mixed in.
2. Beat the eggs into the melted honey mixture using a wooden spoon. Sift the flour into a large bowl and pour in the egg and honey mixture, beating until you have a smooth, quite runny batter.
3. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 50 minutes-1 hour until the cake is well-risen, golden brown and springs back when pressed. A skewer pushed into the centre of the cake should come out clean.
4. Turn the cake out on a wire rack. Warm 2 tbsp honey in a small pan and brush over the top of the cake to give a sticky glaze, then leave to cool. Keeps for 4-5 days wrapped, in an airtight tin.

Variation is to add 1 teaspoon of ground ginger to flour, and two chopped pieces of stem ginger and a little of the stem ginger syrup added to the boiled honey butter and super etc.

I can verify it is worth the cost of the butter !!!
E

Dunno about plum pie but my missus makes sponges by using the eggs on one side of the scales and the other ingredients then depend on how big the eggs are! Works a treat! Last time she entered the local BKA competition, she won first prize.

RAB

Dunno about plum pie but my missus makes sponges by using the eggs on one side of the scales and the other ingredients then depend on how big the eggs are! Works a treat! Last time she entered the local BKA competition, she won first prize.

RAB

That's the normal way but it doesn't work when using honey that's why you have to use less egg weight......apparently!
E

Enrico
re honey recipes , just reading an old Herbert mace beekeeping book from 1974!! trying to find out about rendering old honey comb, and lo and behold,there are two pages of recipes for baking,
the book by the way was given to me by my father in law who kept bees for twenty years,
unfortunately he suffered very badly from a bee sting and under doctors advice stopped keeping bees, always handy to chat to though when something interesting happens with my bees,

RAB

I'll have to try that. Or better still, get me a woman to try that!

Back