Repairing polyhives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham40

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
30+
I have come to the point in the season where I need to repair a few old crocks as I've used everything else.

I have a couple of Payne poly's that require some TLC, they have been chewed at the edges, mouse damage, so they are no longer water or bee tight what is the best material to repair them with?

I have come to the point in the season where I need to repair a few old crocks as I've used everything else.

I have a couple of Payne poly's that require some TLC, they have been chewed at the edges, mouse damage, so they are no longer water or bee tight what is the best material to repair them with?

Perhaps the stuff ****** sells for repairing them.

Finman uses some sort of glue which is a 2 pack I'd like to know a bit more about that, theres another artical from 2011 in the archive, things move on, also all the damage is at the edges of the box not easy to fix unless I shutter the damage area so might have to do as finman suggests and chop a bit out. So id also need a bit of dense styrene not sure where I'd get that either

I think the use of plywood 'shuttering' would indeed help you to get a straighter flatter edge/face to the repair. IMHO its the inner and mating faces that matter.
Facing the shuttering with an easy-release layer, like polythene or even clingfilm, should also help to avoid glueing the shuttering in place!

Or you might choose to use an easily-sanded filler and put some effort into the "making good".

It'd be interesting to learn what mouseguarding tactic produced the damage.
A picture would explain most easily.

They weren't in use when they got munched, cat was summarily fired for neglect of duties.
As for the mice they were given a good send off. The broodbox's are just too convenient as adhock hive stands

Back