Relocating 5 hours from current location.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all.

In six weeks time I am relocating to Wales from York. The drive will be around 5 hours assuming I make no stops.
Would anyone be able to offer any advice on how best to seal the hives for transporting and how best to "settle" them once I eventually get to Wales?
Any general hints and tips would be gratefully received! Given that I managed to successfully bring both hives through my first nervewracking winter, I really don't want to fall at this hurdle!
Many thanks.
Emma

OMF, travelling screens, on a cooler day, load hives so frames don't swing when vehicle brakes, spray with water occasionally, wear your bee suit and display a bees in transit sign just in case.

Hi all.

In six weeks time I am relocating to Wales from York. The drive will be around 5 hours assuming I make no stops.
Would anyone be able to offer any advice on how best to seal the hives for transporting and how best to "settle" them once I eventually get to Wales?
Any general hints and tips would be gratefully received! Given that I managed to successfully bring both hives through my first nervewracking winter, I really don't want to fall at this hurdle!
Many thanks.
Emma
Everything that Murox said!!….. ratchet straps are great, if in a car I’d be inclined to duct tape the odd joint. OMF floors are good but not so great if they are sitting directly on something. Cheap omf as sold in sales if under pressure from ratchet straps can buckle the mesh at the rear if strapped across so better front to back.

Everything that Murox said!!….. ratchet straps are great, if in a car I’d be inclined to duct tape the odd joint. OMF floors are good but not so great if they are sitting directly on something. Cheap omf as sold in sales if under pressure from ratchet straps can buckle the mesh at the rear if strapped across so better front to back.
You can make travelling screens yourself not exspensive using the green fine garden mesh from any garden centre. i just put a wood frame around and right angle brackets and gaffa tape the edges. As the advice said stop every hour or so and spray water onto the screen to allow the bees to use this to keep themselves cool. I would also bluntly plan the run so seal them at sunset and ideally do not load. The load up early e.g .4am so that you are driving in the coolest part of the day i.e. 5 - 11am with stops. or drive after sealling at night, you don't want to get stuck in traffic for hours.

Hi all.

Many thanks.
Emma
Sorry to lose a Yorkshire beek but good luck. A mesh top cover and omf with the front door shut or closed off by screwing a mesh over it will keep them ventilated. As long as the floor is elevated above whatever you sit it on will allow air circulation and occasional water spray will help to keep cool by evaporation.
I'd plan to make the journey away from weekend traffic problems and check with Google map directions for roadworks and the like which might create delays so you can avoid if possible. Which bit of Wales are you heading for?

Recently did 6.5 hours trip. OMF and home made travel screens on top ( as described above). Foam in entrance. 2 ratchet straps, parallel to each other. Frames running fore and aft. They still got hot, so I water sprayed twice. All good at destination.

I have done some 3hr moves in the past, I have made my own mesh floors and had excess mesh which was screwed over the entrances and then speed taped around the edge. Like the others wedge things in to reduce movement, keep your suit about in case and ratchet it all together well, a bit of prep pays dividend. You will get an escapee or two, just open the boot in little breaks to let them escape and stay calm. On arrival, leave them settle for a while in the new location before opening their entrances. My car has air con, I use this to keep the car cool as I have them in a people carrier.

You can make travelling screens yourself not exspensive using the green fine garden mesh from any garden centre. i just put a wood frame around and right angle brackets and gaffa tape the edges. As the advice said stop every hour or so and spray water onto the screen to allow the bees to use this to keep themselves cool. I would also bluntly plan the run so seal them at sunset and ideally do not load. The load up early e.g .4am so that you are driving in the coolest part of the day i.e. 5 - 11am with stops. or drive after sealling at night, you don't want to get stuck in traffic for hours.
Not even any need for the wooden frame….make the mesh a couple of inches bigger all around, fold down the corners and wrap in duct tape!

Sorry to lose a Yorkshire beek but good luck. A mesh top cover and omf with the front door shut or closed off by screwing a mesh over it will keep them ventilated. As long as the floor is elevated above whatever you sit it on will allow air circulation and occasional water spray will help to keep cool by evaporation.
I'd plan to make the journey away from weekend traffic problems and check with Google map directions for roadworks and the like which might create delays so you can avoid if possible. Which bit of Wales are you heading for?
Thank you John! I'm headed about 10 miles north of the Brecon Beacons, or Bannau Brycheiniog, as its now been officially restored to.
I'm planning this like a strategic military operation, on a Tuesday! I've made travelling screens, bought water sprayers, mesh for the entrances, tape for the joins, dummy boards to minimise movement, heavy duty straps and have printed some rather nifty "bees in transit" signs!
My heart is going to be in my mouth for the whole journey!

Last edited:
Bannau Brycheiniog, as its now called
always been called that - the 'beacons' nonsense was some fantasy bull.. made up by a bunch of outcomers when the National park was formed.
But the fans are a big place so 'ten miles North' could be anywhere!

Echoing @wilvaughan18 comment re air con...I've always ramped up the air con when transporting bees in the car, especially on a lengthy journey, so factor that in (for your own comfort) too.

I moved from Cumbria to Ceredigion. At bee transport speed it took five hours of careful driving. Two parallel straps.
Hives up on chocs to keep the OMF clear and travel screens with the roof off. I did have a spray bottle but didn't use it.
Stan had two in the back of the van with a bulkhead and forgot all about them. Mine were in the car. I drove with my suit on and thought of nothing else all trip. :rolleyes:

I made home made screens once. Makes sure the holes are small enough!!!! Mine were not and after half an hour the bees found a way through. It got interesting after that!

• Haha
Reactions: Ely

Latest posts

Back