Reliable way to stop cats .. a plea for help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swarm

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
I recently restored the front garden to a 'Cottage Garden' after many years under chippings. With the introduction of a dry stone retaining wall and a fairly large raised bed, I needed soil. Needless to say this has provided a very handy latrine for, can't say cats because it's the same one every flippin' day. I set out a series of trip wires and bamboo stakes because I'm fed up of cleaning up after it and replanting at six in the morning. Any suggestions of a reliable deterrant? Until the planting is established there's going to be bare earth for it to get at.
Sickens me how cat owners can get away with it and there is no excuse. When they feed their pet yet never clean up any poo, it stands to reason that Tiddles is vacating it's rectum somewhere else or do they think Tiddles doesn't poo?

Powerful water pistol/hose/sprinkler, fox/man pee or feed it and it shouldn't shlt on it's own doorstep;)

Well this is going to be a long thread Lol
Youre right, cat laws in this country are all wrong.not to mention all the wildlife they kill. I wonder how long untill someone says they are only doing what comes naturally ?

I recently restored the front garden to a 'Cottage Garden' after many years under chippings. With the introduction of a dry stone retaining wall and a fairly large raised bed, I needed soil. Needless to say this has provided a very handy latrine for, can't say cats because it's the same one every flippin' day. I set out a series of trip wires and bamboo stakes because I'm fed up of cleaning up after it and replanting at six in the morning. Any suggestions of a reliable deterrant? Until the planting is established there's going to be bare earth for it to get at.
Sickens me how cat owners can get away with it and there is no excuse. When they feed their pet yet never clean up any poo, it stands to reason that Tiddles is vacating it's rectum somewhere else or do they think Tiddles doesn't poo?

You could put sheets of weed supressant down,around the plants? that way your killing two birds with one stone

Had similar problems when I lived in London with neighbors cats. Bought one of those infra sound devices that is motion activated. Worked a treat, although you have to move it every week or so as the cats get used to it's position and range.
Not cheap but, worked so well I was astounded.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004803RMQ/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B008HQLJEA&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1QKC04EB87X3R9RT1K8N"]Cat watch Ultrasonic Deterrent: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors[/ame]

AND the biggest super soaker you can find.

Every year I have to use "humming tape" to keep the woodies away from my crops. It also frightens the crap (sorry) out of the local cats that use my allotment as a latrine, and they keep a healthy distance.

Get one of Dishmop's foxes to get rid of the cat and then Jbm can shoot the fox when it's done it's job! Sorry, couldn't resist it, it's Friday! :sorry:

We have the same issue with next door's 4 cats, every bit of dry ground in our garden gets the 'feline fertiliser' routine regularly.

One of [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Water-Blaster-XLR-Cannon/dp/B0000BYAWZ/ref=sr_1_2?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1432321639&sr=1-2&keywords=Water+Blaster"]these water blasters[/ame] works a treat, has a bit more range that your usual water pistol and can have a significant bit of force behind it once you've mastered it.

Alternatively, if you can get hold of some holly cuttings, put them down until the ground cover comes through. The spikes on the leaves make it uncomfortable for them to walk over (and expose their, ummm, sphincters to). The leaves remain spikey as they dry out, so can act as a deterrent for a reasonable while.

For the raised beds we have that are a bit far away from the house to use the water jet approach, we've used [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Battery-Operated-Cat-Repeller/dp/B004SGC75S/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1432322140&sr=1-4&keywords=Primrose"]these ultrasonic devices[/ame] and they seem to be effective.

Last edited:
If you have any chicken wire or fruit netting then you could peg that out at 6" above the ground to keep the cat off, hopefully it'll then find another regular spot somewhere else.

I can't remember the "cat psychology" behind it but bottles of water lying on the ground sometimes works (it spooks them), use the large 5 litre clear plastic ones with labels removed if you have them (or bin-forage for them on recycle collection day)

Last edited:
I read somewhere that lions poo does the trick, the next question is where do you obtain it from, know any zoo keepers?

I read somewhere that lions poo does the trick, the next question is where do you obtain it from, know any zoo keepers?

You can pick up pellets impregnated with this from most garden centers, but... they do mention that it may make cat's activities worse as they try and out compete the smell. Never had any success with it when we tried it.

Grated orange/lemon peel.

I heard if you tie a string of tin cans to it's tail they will disappear off into the sunset at speed and never be seen again.

I met someone who installed a motion sensor coupled to a water valve and connected it to a swivelling water spray. Soaked any cats .

It also soaked me when I got within range. :eek:

Highly effective but not cheap and no good in frosty weather.

I tried it with real lions poo (from a local safari park). It doesn't work.
Real lions might work...although I think the postman might object

If you have any chicken wire or fruit netting then you could peg that out at 6" above the ground to keep the cat off, hopefully it'll then find another regular spot somewhere else.

Another vote for chicken wire. You can either make a loose fence around the bed, or lay it directly on the soil surface. Cats can't climb it, and don't like walking on it.

I used prickly branches, such as pyracantha and berberis, spread haphazardly over the seed bed. Worked a treat, but was a b****r to pick up once everything had sprouted - by then it was dry and brittle and the spines were even more likely to break off when I managed to stab myself with it - definitely a gloves job.

Curry powder...Pepper.....

a cat flap set over a hole?

Back