RED light

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
Had loads of calls about bumble bee's and the Bumble Bee Conservation trust says Bumble Bee's cannot see red light. Is this the same for honey bee's? Would be useful to know when closing bee's up in the dark ready for transportation.

they see red as black

Had loads of calls about bumble bee's and the Bumble Bee Conservation trust says Bumble Bee's cannot see red light. Is this the same for honey bee's? Would be useful to know when closing bee's up in the dark ready for transportation.

Wondered why they never stopped at the traffic lights:icon_204-2:

If I do a wasps nest in a loft then they ignor me with the red torch - I struggle to find raspberry ruffles now Woolworths has gone

... Bumble Bee's cannot see red light. Is this the same for honey bee's? Would be useful to know when closing bee's up in the dark ready for transportation.

Yes, honey bees cannot see in red light. You won't be the first to use it.

Yes, honey bees cannot see in red light. You won't be the first to use it.

Indeed - always hive swarms after dark with one. HOWEVER a red light with heat (such as a rabbiting light which I was lent last time I removed bumbles from a loft has a less than calming effect (but not as "interesting" as removing a hanging honey bee swarm with a portable flood light)

I use the red setting on an led head torch.

Works a treat when doing night stuff

I use the red setting on an led head torch.

Works a treat when doing night stuff

I have one of those jobbies Pete so that's a good idea. Wish I'd known last week :cuss:

Latest posts

Back