Red honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just started to extract my last few frames - and found some red nectar stored. It is quite dark, and not in all cells. Unfortunately I had not seen it before it was extracted and so 2 frames worth of honey is now in my extractor and dark toffee coloured. Is this likely to be honeydew or would the bees have been supping some cherryade? I tastes ok! And I'm feeling no ill effects from it :)

Last edited:
Sweet chestnut can be very brown and rich, other suggestions will follow I am sure!

Hi Elaine,
Apparently, the darker the honey the more antioxidants it has!

I,ve decided to drain this off and keep it separate and get on with the rest of the extracting - I can decide later whether to mix it back in

I keep telling Derek not to leave coke cans around :). I'm hoping its not anything like that, but it isn't that bright a red - more like a dark proper strawberry jam colour, not as purple as black currant - but the overall effect in the batch of honey gives it a lovely dark golden toffee colour

I keep telling Derek not to leave coke cans around :). I'm hoping its not anything like that, but it isn't that bright a red - more like a dark proper strawberry jam colour, not as purple as black currant - but the overall effect in the batch of honey gives it a lovely dark golden toffee colour

Have you tasted it? could it have been pollen with honey on top? Chestnut.

it's the honey itself that is coloured, so not pollen at the bottom of the cell. And I have tasted it - tastes like honey :) no specific taste I can recognise. I will try later to get some under the microscope to see if I can recognise anything

We do have heather here - although a very poor showing this year, but I've not seen this red before

Just a quick google and some plants of the Jaltomata species apparently have blood red nectar. Had two cells like that in my honey!

I remember 'Jimmy' visiting Nepal to harvest honey with the locals. He showed a jar of honey with a red colour. But then, he claimed it was his Ivy honey.

Latest posts

Back