red diesel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisfnvs

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone have any information on the regulation on the use of red diesel, i know some bee farmers use it but i think you have to re register your vehicle any info would be appreciated Chris

I do not know a lot about it Chris but I know one of the difficulties is that you cannot go beyond a certain range from base, which can be very limiting on uses of the truck

I wouldn't mind some info on this too.

Doesn't seem would be any use to us.

Thanks Veg, i think that about rules it out for me then, at least i can reclaim the VAT now, i am going to our BFA meeting next week where i know one guy who does use it so i will ask him and report back Chris

Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread, but I use red in a unimog and as far as I know it's only legal to use it in agricultural tractors and other agricultural machinery. Unimogs are classed as tractors and when registered for agricultural use can legally use red diesel, however you must be careful that all you carry can be explained as being for use in your agricultural business.
I could be wrong but I think that any trucks or Land Rovers etc. even when used for agricultural purposes can't legally use red diesel on the road.
Rob

You can register a truck for agricultural use and use red diesel, but very limited use on road...and only for your own business between sites or farms of your own, not carrying goods for others or hire or reward.

Better to make and use your own bio diesel, cheaper than red, and 2,500 liters allowed to be used legally per year before paying duty, in fact the law is so wide open you can use as much as you like, if no paper trail left.

You can register a truck for agricultural use and use red diesel, but very limited use on road...and only for your own business between sites or farms of your own, not carrying goods for others or hire or reward.

Better to make and use your own bio diesel, cheaper than red, and 2,500 liters allowed to be used legally per year before paying duty, in fact the law is so wide open you can use as much as you like, if no paper trail left.
Thanks for the info about trucks, is it only trucks or can Land Rovers be registered as agricultural and run on red as well.
Must admit I do like the idea of making bio diesel, any thing to save a few quid interests me.
Rob

Yes Landrovers as well, Rob.

We have been making our own bio fuel for several years (although still buy some tailor made stuff) sourcing the used oil in bulk is the hardest part. Although my truck will run quite well on just straight vegetable oil as well, but it is supposed to be bio conversion, which is also better for the engine.

We have been making our own bio fuel for several years (although still buy some tailor made stuff) sourcing the used oil in bulk is the hardest part.

On thinking about it I suppose getting hold of used veg oil in quantity could well be the stumbling block to making your own bio diesel, especially when running a Unimog on it at 13-14 mpg.
Rob

Getting it from chip shops/hotels is not easy nowadays, as the oil companies that supply the new oil usually take the old used oil away to be made into bio fuel, but there are companies that sell bulk used veg all, a farm and riding school near me run three lorries, tractors, and the owners cars, all on bio fuel they make on the farm, delivery of waste oil is by tanker, and every week if needed.

Is it easy to make Peter, and is there any legal requirements ?

Is it easy to make Peter, and is there any legal requirements ?

IIRC the first 2000 lt are duty freeand all thats required is to keep records but it should, by the letter of the law be up to the espn standard.
I used to make my own, the downsides being the mess and hazardous chemicals - NaOH and methanol - and the time it takes. I had to close the plant down as it was getting too complicated to keep the kids away from all the nasty stuff.
I switched to buying from a firm in ammonford called sundance renewables, but the last time I went up there the hippies were all lounging round like zombies and had no fuel for sale, I recon the methonal fumes had finally got to them !
Now I find it easier to use vehicles that run on pure veg oil.
If you're not too concerned about getting dipped, a mix of veg and heating oil ~80/20 goes well in most diesel engines, but I dont think customs would be too impressed, impounded vehicle and a hefty fine if caught !

Be carefully Chris, your warranty on the new truck would be invalidated if you run it on anything other than the right stuff and if you have any problems they will be able to tell, common rail diesels do not like the bio, older engines like my TDI land rover will put up with it but it does the pumps in over time, I have seen many pumps leaking as the seals cannot cope with the different fuel

Be carefully Chris, your warranty on the new truck would be invalidated if you run it on anything other than the right stuff and if you have any problems they will be able to tell, common rail diesels do not like the bio, older engines like my TDI land rover will put up with it but it does the pumps in over time, I have seen many pumps leaking as the seals cannot cope with the different fuel

I will be on my best behaviour until the warranty runs out Kev, i don't think i will be manufacturing my own fuel in the forcible future Kev, just interested in how ! it seems almost unbelievable you can actually make it at all and using Veg oil :eek:

Latest posts

Back