Recommend a blow torch?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clv101

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
nine 14x12
I have a Lidl 'kitchen' blow torch, refilled with lighter-refill gas.
I use it for lighting the smoker.
I'm sure it could be used for scorching a hive.
Though the Lidl 'weed wand' (blow torch on a stick) is more powerful and IIRC, cheaper.

Id go for the 350g canister i got a b&q non auto light one similar the 170g they dont seem to like being turned upside down and go out. I'll probably invest in the 350g one at some stage. My canister seems to have last ages and loads left been using once/twice a week for lighting smoker in recent weeks and did aug/sept with it too. Probably will last me to august id say.

I scorch hives on a rotating program, at the moment putting in to service 2 unused hives that have been left for 1 year so have issues with wax moth. I use the Rothenberger Quick Fire with 400g cylinders. certainly isn't a cheap torch but i am in the Electrical-plumbing business so readily available, maybe not the choice of torch for you but the 400g cylinder lasts ages 3-4 years or more if not scorching much. I have mine in the car when i go to inspect so a quick way of lighting smoker. They just have so many uses. The rothernberger ones have the pico start which has a long life some of the cheaper ones pico start just don't last as long.

Maybe the more expensive ones that are used by the trades run more efficiently the cylinder i am using which is 400g i have had in since 2011 i think is about half way down judging by the weight I use it loads not sure how long in one continuous run though.

I've heard good things about the Bullfinch FirePower over the Rothenberg Quickfire's as they dont break as easy (but dont have first hand experience of this).

Thats the one we have, have been using it for 2 seasons - scorching all the equipment when it either comes off and/or when it goes back to the bees... and we move both our hives onto clean equipment every spring (stand/floor included).

We are getting towards the end of the second canister we bought, so they last for some time. The first one did tend to flame out when held beyond horizontal, but the second canister works on the whole.

I have a Lidl 'kitchen' blow torch, refilled with lighter-refill gas.
I use it for lighting the smoker.
I'm sure it could be used for scorching a hive.
Though the Lidl 'weed wand' (blow torch on a stick) is more powerful and IIRC, cheaper.

I use one of the Lidl jobbies for my smoker and scorching too.

How long does 170g of gas last?...
Or this one with a 350g canister?
The range of Butane/Propane mix gas canisters fits either, no need to base your choice on the initial cartridge since the larger cartridge is only a couple of quid more. Lidl/Aldi sometimes do cheaper replacement cartridges.

My torch is similar to the cheaper toolstation one, Wickes I think from a couple of years back, not the current model which has terrible reviews. Does the basic job without too much fuss, can be hard to light when the gas pressure drops (nearly empty or cold). Not turning the gas off fully once or twice has probably used more gas than burning, if I was looking for a replacement a trigger style valve would be an advantage but can't say I've seen one except in the smaller kitchen ranges. Having a spare cartridge in store is a precaution, stock up if you see them in Lidl.

If you have to buy one specially, why spend money when for £12...
Because that one doesn't have push button spark ignition. You pays your money... But be aware what you get for it.

The range of Butane/Propane mix gas canisters fits either, no need to base your choice on the initial cartridge since the larger cartridge is only a couple of quid more. Lidl/Aldi sometimes do cheaper replacement cartridges.

My torch is similar to the cheaper toolstation one, Wickes I think from a couple of years back, not the current model which has terrible reviews. Does the basic job without too much fuss, can be hard to light when the gas pressure drops (nearly empty or cold). Not turning the gas off fully once or twice has probably used more gas than burning, if I was looking for a replacement a trigger style valve would be an advantage but can't say I've seen one except in the smaller kitchen ranges. Having a spare cartridge in store is a precaution, stock up if you see them in Lidl.

Somewhere like Poundstretcher often has multi-packs of them. Got a pack of five last year and only just started it. Only about a quid a can.

I use an electric hot air gun that I originally bought for stripping paint off wood. They are alot safer than a blowlamp.

I use an electric hot air gun that I originally bought for stripping paint off wood. They are alot safer than a blowlamp.

Takes a little too long to get the timber to sterilisation temperatures for my liking!
I have a torch with spreader fitted, 25 kilo bottle of propane !
At the rate I use it,very economical as the bottle has been in use for years :D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back