Recombining after Snelgrove 2

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idg

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All, I am 10 days through a Snelgrove 2, so the queen has been moved into the AS portion on the original site, and the parent colony have been left to raise a new queen.
What I would like to do is get the hive back together to maximise honey crop. At the same time I would like to take a Nuc from the parent colony. How does this sound?
1) Wait for parent colony to raise QC's and wait for them to be capped.
2) Transfer a frame with QC into a nuc. Add another frame or two and bees
3) Move the remainder of this hive on top of AS colony brood with newspaper in between.
4) Place supers on top (do I need newspaper under the supers).
5) I may consider leaving on double brood.

Is there a better way to achieve the same result. i.e colony back together and a nuc taken

I just take of the QC i want leave one in top and once she is laying bleed the workers down to parent colony by use of doors. hive now working two queens. unit end of season.

Mine is a Snelgrove 2 manipulation so no board used. Hives are 8 feet apart.

Mark the position of a nice loaded cell in the top box, then when sealed, make up your nuc with the frame the cell is on, a frame of stores, and shake in another frame of young bees. Fill up with foundation or preferably drawn comb. Combine your two colonies using newspaper method on Q+ site and place nuc on Q- site. Any retuning flying bees will help bolster this small nuc. Once new queen is mated and laying extra frames (if available could be added to help them build.

Mark the position of a nice loaded cell in the top box, then when sealed, make up your nuc with the frame the cell is on, a frame of stores, and shake in another frame of young bees. Fill up with foundation or preferably drawn comb. Combine your two colonies using newspaper method on Q+ site and place nuc on Q- site. Any retuning flying bees will help bolster this small nuc. Once new queen is mated and laying extra frames (if available could be added to help them build.

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks

Except the basic, that you continue the breed of earger swarmer..

Come on Finny, nowhere does the op say they were swarmy bees, for all you know this could be the first swarm in 4 years! He also said he wanted a nuc from this colony.

Latest posts

Back