Really lucky to have found a good spot

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zante

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
For the last couple of days the weather has been rotten.
Not so much the rain or the hail, but the wind worried me. There were gusts of up to 100kph reported and I was quite frankly a bit afraid to drive (or even walk) in that weather.

This morning it suddenly improved, and as soon as it was light enough I went to the apiary and... nothing. It might have as well been sunny all the time. Bees were starting to poke through the entrance, the hives were in their place, and even the empty tray of apiguard I had dropped on the entrance and forgot to pick up last time was still there.

It's not the easiest spot to get to, but I don't think it can be argued it's not sheltered!

My hives are in a very sheltered spot but in high winds I always worry that the very shelter that protects from those high winds might also give rise to eddys or mini-tornados that would lift the roof off. I'm probably being irrational but one can never trust the weather not to pull a stunt.

My hives are in a very sheltered spot but in high winds I always worry that the very shelter that protects from those high winds might also give rise to eddys or mini-tornados that would lift the roof off. I'm probably being irrational but one can never trust the weather not to pull a stunt.

Straps and concrete blocks are the mainstay of beekeeping in Cornwall!

Only time I have lost "lids" was when a vandal decided to play frizbee with them in one apiary.... I think the bees eventually saw him off!!

Chons da

For the last couple of days the weather has been rotten.
Not so much the rain or the hail, but the wind worried me. There were gusts of up to 100kph reported and I was quite frankly a bit afraid to drive (or even walk) in that weather.

This morning it suddenly improved, and as soon as it was light enough I went to the apiary and... nothing. It might have as well been sunny all the time. Bees were starting to poke through the entrance, the hives were in their place, and even the empty tray of apiguard I had dropped on the entrance and forgot to pick up last time was still there.

It's not the easiest spot to get to, but I don't think it can be argued it's not sheltered!

I have an out Apiary within metres of the north Cornwall coast, normal straps have kept the hives safe for quite a few years with no problems. After reading ITLD’s recent tweet I may well increase consider ‘ upping ‘ what I use!
S

Back