Rats

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't need to read that Derek, the information i received is from a professional pest controller, not some amateur pesty making things up.

I got my information from scientific research
Huang, A. C., Elliott, J. E., Hindmarch, S., Lee, S. L., Maisonneuve, F., Bowes, V., … Martin, K. (2016). Increased rodenticide exposure rate and risk of toxicosis in barn owls (Tyto alba) from southwestern Canada and linkage with demographic but not genetic factors. Ecotoxicology, 25(6), 1061–1071. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10646-016-1662-6

The 1990s research indicated that there was little risk in second generation rodenticide but recent research been shown not to be the case.

Research in Canada - mayhaps the controls on rodenticides is different out there?
try this
Hughes, J., Sharp, E., Taylor, M. J., Melton, L., & Hartley, G. (2013). Monitoring agricultural rodenticide use and secondary exposure of raptors in Scotland. Ecotoxicology, 22(6), 974–984. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10646-013-1074-9

Molenaar, F. M., Jaffe, J. E., Carter, I., Barnett, E. A., Shore, R. F., Rowcliffe, J. M., & Sainsbury, A. W. (2017). Poisoning of reintroduced red kites (Milvus Milvus) in England. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10344-017-1152-z

Last edited:
I got my information from scientific research
Huang, A. C., Elliott, J. E., Hindmarch, S., Lee, S. L., Maisonneuve, F., Bowes, V., … Martin, K. (2016). Increased rodenticide exposure rate and risk of toxicosis in barn owls (Tyto alba) from southwestern Canada and linkage with demographic but not genetic factors. Ecotoxicology, 25(6), 1061–1071. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10646-016-1662-6

The 1990s research indicated that there was little risk in second generation rodenticide but recent research been shown not to be the case.

99% of Mice/Rats or there about's die in a hole under the ground so unless you use the wrong poison for the job and learn Birds Of Prey how to use a spade you may well poison them, what most folk fail to realize is that the death and decline of BOP is the ever changing farming methods and lack of nesting sites through all the old buildings getting flattened for the newer prefabricated models so that science link you copy and paste means nothing to me, and that trap contraption in a link you posted can kill a lot more than mice (think about the declining inquisitive Red Squirrels)..:eek:

Edited to add it is now 2007 things have changed regarding poison.

Last edited:
99% of Mice/Rats or there about's die in a hole under the ground so unless you use the wrong poison for the job and learn Birds Of Prey how to use a spade you may well poison them, what most folk fail to realize is that the death and decline of BOP is the ever changing farming methods and lack of nesting sites through all the old buildings getting flattened for the newer prefabricated models so that science link you copy and paste means nothing to me, and that trap contraption in a link you posted can kill a lot more than mice (think about the declining inquisitive Red Squirrels)..:eek:

Edited to add it is now 2007 things have changed regarding poison.

Red squirrels in hampshire? I would actually prefer pine martens to traps, which red squirrels know about. There is a whole load of other animals getting poisoned.Including by the practice of baiting just in case. I've added the 2017 paper on Red kites.

Last edited:
Red squirrels in hampshire? I would actually prefer pine martens to traps, which red squirrels know about. There is a whole load of other animals getting poisoned.Including by the practice of baiting just in case. I've added the 2017 paper on Red kites.

Red Kites where re introduced and last on my list of things that need help, imo they want culling and so do buzzards.

The effects of rodenticide on non target species and predators, including how the "new products " were supposed to be safe if used correctly reminds me of progress of neonictinoids.

Regardless of all the pointless shi* posted if anyone of you struggle to get rid of Rats or Mice let me know and i will most certainly help.

we were told by a rat man that if we do a course we can get a certificate to allow us to buy the proper poisons.
have started going through course, but realise unless site all works together it is almost pointless. We have someone feeding chickens from a tub on floor.

The effects of rodenticide on non target species and predators, including how the "new products " were supposed to be safe if used correctly reminds me of progress of neonictinoids.

Reminds me of a lot of other things that were supposed to be safe... then found not to be years later, including some food and drinks...only thing to help prevent this kind of thing is to stop progress, ban progress.

Reminds me of a lot of other things that were supposed to be safe... then found not to be years later, including some food and drinks...only thing to help prevent this kind of thing is to stop progress, ban progress.
True, progress is not possible without mistakes. The secret is to detect and then abandon the mistakes as soon as you can, move on, and if possible, not to repeat previous mistakes.

True, progress is not possible without mistakes. The secret is to detect and then abandon the mistakes as soon as you can, move on, and if possible, not to repeat previous mistakes.

Sounds like a good beekeeper motto
E

EXACTLTY the same product in 3kg tub... Pro Licenced Rattticide.... that Patch & Aker or whatever the store is now called, REFUSED to sell... on ebuy at a discounted price & inc P&P!

Yeghes da

Wonder if Aspertame would kill the ratties too???

:icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back