Ratnieks a no insulation and winter ventilation advocate

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can add another entomology proffessor to the list who does not distinguish between heat loss and temperature difference...
and the chesnut "bees heat the cluster not the hive"....

http://www.lasiqueenbees.com/how-to/autumn-preparation-of-hives-for-winter

Not surprising. Anyway he "learned" his beekeeping in The USA
Maybe just as well. Opening up an active insulated hive in the middle of winter to scrape out brood might result in lots of airborne bees not making it home

Last edited:
A bit like Emperor penguins then, they heat the huddle.

The statement is only valid when the enclosure surrounding the huddle/cluster has for all practical purpose infinite conductance... While you can argue that for the penguins outside in the winter antartic in gales with driving snow or under a clear night sky, its really not true for honey bees inside a tree. You can try to make it true by making their box really thin and then open the top, but even then you will get a temperature difference

I see it as basically the same principle just different extremes, a bit like it would be comparing all the various examples of natural nest.

I see it as basically the same principle just different extremes, a bit like it would be comparing all the various examples of natural nest.

Like the giant honey bee, that makes it's nest on the outside of a tree, on a branch.

Like the giant honey bee, that makes it's nest on the outside of a tree, on a branch.

appart from the branch and the empty comb also having a finite lumped conductance

(empty comb is very good insulator)

so they are quite a few rungs up from the penguins in organising a lower conductance nest.

Last edited:
A. Laboriosa lives in the Himalayas at altitudes that often see freezing temps. They build their exposed combs on rock faces and under overhangs. They seem to know how to keep brood warm.

appart from the branch and the empty comb also having a finite lumped conductance

I imagine the single comb is usually filled with food and brood.

A. Laboriosa lives in the Himalayas at altitudes that often see freezing temps. .

Have you been there? Or how you know.

As far I understand, giant honeybee migrates according seasons to avoid unfavorite environment.

Last edited:

If combs are not in the box, bees consume their winter stores in couple of months. They will not see next spring. Not even Christmas.
Most of Apis cerana combs hang in open air .

Evolution is a strange thing isn't it? Fancy animals deciding to head for colder conditions than those they knew. Polar bears head out onto the ice when winter arrives, male Emperor penguins huddle up in the most extreme conditions and Honeybees left their warm home and some even ended up in miserable Britain. Very strange.

Evolution is a strange thing isn't it? Fancy animals deciding to head for colder conditions than those they knew. Polar bears head out onto the ice when winter arrives, male Emperor penguins huddle up in the most extreme conditions and Honeybees left their warm home and some even ended up in miserable Britain. Very strange.

IT is only 30 km to Europe.

Latest posts

Back