Rapid feeder below cover board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One hive had not been taking feed from my rapid feeder ( don't like using contact feeder) so I placed it on top of the brood frames with cover board above. Bees feeding now , are there any drawbacks doing it this way?

One hive had not been taking feed from my rapid feeder ( don't like using contact feeder) so I placed it on top of the brood frames with cover board above. Bees feeding now , are there any drawbacks doing it this way?

feeder will get a bit clarted up with propolis and you may get brace comb being built in the extra space you've given them.

What type of Contact feeder did you use and why Magically are they now eating/drinking from a rapid feeder. :confused:
I used a 4 pint rapid feeder, now placed below the cover board and syrup is being consumed. One worry was that being lower in the brood area it might encourage robbing. Previously used a contact feeder and the syrup all drained into the hive, my fault but put me off them .

the method you use used to be the standard method in the 1930 before multifunction crown boards replaced solid crown boards or hessian "packing" ( insulation),

i do the same as you on my poly hives that have correx crown boards without feed holes

Previously used a contact feeder and the syrup all drained into the hive, my fault but put me off them .

What did you do for that to happen...tip it upside down onto the hive without putting the feeder lid on?

There are many problems in feeding. But it makes beekeeping interestring when you resolve those things.

One reason is that the colony is so small that it cannot rise into the feeding box when it keeps it brood warm.

One solution is that you greese the feeding point with honey, and bees will come there then.

surely now they have found the source of food, you could move the crown board back underneat,

Not sure, I think my syrup was too thin

You must - repeat must - ensure the lid is properly fitted all the way round the top. Any sugar deposits or dirt that prevents that will likely result in a leak and loss of all syrup..

After a disaster, I always double check..

If the lid of the contact feeder is not on properly all the way round the feeder will leak.

I had trouble with mine taking it from a rapid feeder but trickled a small amount down the tube of the feeder and they were straight on it.

Last edited:
I had trouble with mine taking it from a rapid feeder but trickled a small amount down the tube of the feeder and they were straight on it.

As Swam (S) suggested i trickle a bit on top of the top bars through the feed hole and they are on in like an illegal Immigrant in Calais on the back of a lorry.

As Swam (S) suggested i trickle a bit on top of the top bars through the feed hole and they are on in like an illegal Immigrant in Calais on the back of a lorry.
Ha ha, yeah and they are still gulping it down here in the south east. Nights are getting colder though :)

Ha ha, yeah and they are still gulping it down here in the south east. Nights are getting colder though :)

That is why i have the cosey over them, last year i noticed the syrup crystallizing in the contact feeders without the cosey, the insulation stopped that .

That is why i have the cosey over them, last year i noticed the syrup crystallizing in the contact feeders without the cosey, the insulation stopped that .
I have a piece of 100mm celotex over my rapid feeder.

I always used to put the rapid feeder directly onto the hive under the crown board. Now I find out that was wrong? Bees never seemed to mind it.

Latest posts

Back