Rapeseed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaymac

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I spun my uncapped rapeseed honey, when is the best time to feed this back to the bees. Could I bag it then use for winter feed.

Why do you want to feed it back to the bees? What is the water content? It's likely perfectly OK to eat/sell

For future reference…… take the uncapped frames and give a good shake/downward thrust! If nectar comes out it’s to wet, if it stays in the frame it’s honey. It’s all you need do, these days with cheap and available refractors you could double check a couple of uncapped frames and extract with the rest.

For future reference…… take the uncapped frames and give a good shake/downward thrust! If nectar comes out it’s to wet, if it stays in the frame it’s honey. It’s all you need do, these days with cheap and available refractors you could double check a couple of uncapped frames and extract with the rest.
Thanks for the info, I was told the uncapped went back to the bees. I now have a bucket of uncapped nectar/honey I will test for moisture after work today, let hope it’s not thick to go through the filers.

Thanks for the info, I was told the uncapped went back to the bees. I now have a bucket of uncapped nectar/honey I will test for moisture after work today, let hope it’s not thick to go through the filers.
If it has started to set all you need to do is warm it up and it will be back to runny and will filter easily. Where did you get the idea that uncapped has to be fed back to the bees?

If it has started to set all you need to do is warm it up and it will be back to runny and will filter easily. Where did you get the idea that uncapped has to be fed back to the bees?
Was told by another bee keeper, I suppose everyone has there own ideas.

told the uncapped went back to the bees
Advice may be based on the idea that uncapped has a higher water content and may ferment later in the bucket.

It may, but I take it to a North London farmers'market and sell at £21/kg. Nobody bakes with it, by the way, and I always sell out.

Use a refractometer. A reading over 19% is risky, so blend with a bucket at 16 or 17.

If it does ferment later, ask local brewers or gin factories. You may only get £3.50/lb but it all helps.

Back