Quick syrup mixer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just mixed 2lb sugar 1 pint warm water in the liquidizer. Perfectly mixed in 2 mins. easy

'Ang about ....

3Kg of sugar, plus the water ... and "shake it like a cocktail" - you must have more than your fair share of arm muscles :)

LJ

Just mixed 2lb sugar 1 pint warm water in the liquidizer. Perfectly mixed in 2 mins. easy

Trouble is by the time you've done 20 or so bags that way it takes ages and a sticky mess all over the kitchen.

I now use an electric tea urn on the lawn, heat up 5L of water and stir in 10kg. Makes the job easy.

I like to bring water to boil.
Take off heat
Add sugar and stir until all granular have dissolved
Allow to cool totally
Then bottle for use.

Q? Why don't use PET?
Presumed it was ok if syrup was cool, and I didn't use the same bottle for more than a season?

Q? Why don't use PET?*Presumed it was ok if syrup was cool, and I didn't use the same bottle for more than a season?

Read in context? My reply was to the OP. Read that? Not likely to be cool if he added near boiling water, I think!

old plastic water butt,,add 25 kgs sugar +appropiate amount of water 5 minutes mixing with drill and plaster mixing attachment + whatever additives you choose and you even have a tap on bottom of container for dispensing the syrup,,never had a problem with sugar settling out of solution

I have adapted a 10 litre tea urn (the type you see in a canteen). The top of the urn has a hole in it for a plaster mixer attached to a drill. The drill is fixed above the urn.

I simply bring the water to the boil and then add the sugar, turn on the drill and leave it to mix for 5 minutes....

It mixes just short of 10 litres of syrup each time, which does two hives.... Very little effort on my part...

Are these jam makers suitable for making fondant?

Er, no.

They are for sold for making continental fruit preserves - which the marketing experts in head office have mistranslated as "jam".

No matter, the thing is just an enamelled tea-urn, with the electric element outside the tank. As such, and complete with an internal rack for keeping things off the (heated) tank bottom, it is great value. And Lidl generally give a 3 year warranty -- just be sure to keep the receipt!

However, as always with Lidl "specials" it will only show up once (or maybe twice) a year, and when that branch's stock is sold, the deal is finished.

Back