questionable teaching or not?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Rob - Some reasons I use them 100% of the time -

Wax moths; supers used purely for honey production can be stored wet and I've yet to have issues with moths, if the combs had brood the moths move in (try it). Drones, I like to keep them out of the supers. Speed, knowing the queen location means faster super processing and moving boxes around including removing the bees. They might reduce honey production, fixed by adding a few more hives. Brood config; quick glance and I'll know if the units are single or DB (all the boxes are the same size).
I dindnt know that, I thought wax moth still went into super comb that's used just for stores, is it because they where stored wet?
I didnt realise QE had much of an effect on honey production either.
I agree knowing the queen's location and seeing what the brood is on is handy, mine where on a brood and half and another on single brood and I could easily tell (I only had two colonies to be fair it would have been pretty easy anyway 😂) but with alot of hives it would have been a bonus.

dindnt know that, I thought wax moth still went into super comb that's used just for stores, is it because they where stored wet?

No, wax moth are drawn to brood comb because their larvae like to eat the brood cocoons etc.

I've had dry super comb in the garage, not in a box, for two years that hasn't been touched by wax moth. Brood comb, on the other hand, is infested quickly

its about when colony expands how early or late put the first super before the broodnest arc honey ceiling appear or and nadiring for pollen,nectar is direct communication(trophalaxis -foragers with nectar receivers in dance areas near entrance) and competitive with brood(block each other and more the free cells more the foraging) while pollen is more complicated communication and do no competitive brood

if arc honey ceiling appears ya late on supering and no need QX cause brood been blocked from honey already but if brood blocks nectar receivers(mid age bees) and no empty cells available then either ya can put right above top brood QX and drawn combs(free cells) for nectar receivers storage(keep broodnest clearer for more brood) either they hold it in them crop that forcing them produce white wax(swarm bees?)

as long as you are able to keep broodnest as clear as possible from pollen/nectar stores either with nadiring/supering in time and accordingly and QX height play, you can hold broodnest ''concret/tight'' and still ve un expand colony , actually you are perfect if can do it with one box but a colony its kinda like a accordion and for that i no think a single ,2,3or whatever broodnest box refects a whole season year when all about and around bees are variables and no constants but my belief is that if a broodnest box(es) suits the most throughout period of a year season then might be the right one(s)

No, wax moth are drawn to brood comb because their larvae like to eat the brood cocoons etc.

I've had dry super comb in the garage, not in a box, for two years that hasn't been touched by wax moth. Brood comb, on the other hand, is infested quickly
That's handy to know! I've stacked mine from last year in the shed on a steel plate and a hive rood to try stop them getting in.

I thought if you added suppers in good time they would just store there instead of the brood, I can see it would definatly be easier for the bees to move without a QE though.
Foragers pass their nectar to house bees near the entrance of the hive. It then gets passed along a series of bees till it’s finally deposited in a cell. When there is a big flow the chain can’t keep up and a lot of it is deposited in the brood box to be moved up at night when the bees have stopped flying.
That’s why when you inspect at such times it’s common to find a lot of nectar in the brood cells.

Foragers pass their nectar to house bees near the entrance of the hive. It then gets passed along a series of bees till it’s finally deposited in a cell. When there is a big flow the chain can’t keep up and a lot of it is deposited in the brood box to be moved up at night when the bees have stopped flying.
That’s why when you inspect at such times it’s common to find a lot of nectar in the brood cells.
Interesting, thanks

I believed that until they decimated my supers! I read it on here and believed it! Silly me!

I believed that until they decimated my supers! I read it on here and believed it! Silly me!
Only one way to reduce the likelihood of waxmoth infestation (without spraying Dipel) is to store wet. I even had a stack of brood frames from last year's Demarrees stored wet last winter (and we hardly had any good frosts) and they were all good this spring, in fact some of them had been stored from the year before.

Store all 27 supers WET in stacks in garden. No issues in 9 years, I make sure they are bee tight and strapped hard down. Gaffer tape any obvious weak areas.

I didnt know that, I thought that's why it was important to have enough space in the supers to avoid the brood box getting back filled.

That's handy to know! I've stacked mine from last year in the shed on a steel plate and a hive rood to try stop them getting in.
One can only assume these snippets of info are not included in the beginners classes of Sussex. They must focus on shook swarms and queen squishing demo’s😉…….I’ll get my coat!

One can only assume these snippets of info are not included in the beginners classes of Sussex. They must focus on shook swarms and queen squishing demo’s😉…….I’ll get my coat!
No I vaguely rememeber Mr Roger saying to store supers so that wax moth, mice and spiders don't get in.
Some one above has had wax moth in their supers? Roger also says how stressful shook swarms are for the bees?
Lol im guessing you don't like Roger, did he get the invites you wanted or something 😂?

I went through my stored supers recently (stored in a garage each one wrapped in a bin bag with a board top and bottom) and three out of the eight I checked had moth damage. I think they were boxes from my brood and a half days and were probably used for brooding)

Back