Question on 14x12

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oGri

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I currently use nationals, if I use a 14*12 eke, will the bees fill out the existing frames downwards, until such time as I replace in circulation?

Has anyone any experience of this?

Cheers,

oGri

I switched over from Nats to 14*12 on two colonies this year without major problems.

If the colony needs the space they'll expand downwards, but at this time of year I suspect they may well leave a gap underneath.

Mostly they draw the additional comb directly below the frame, but occasionally I've found they draw the extensions at an angle and you'll have to chop it off as it gets damaged or pulled off as you remove the frame.

It will generally be drone cells in this extra comb too, which is another reason why they might be reluctant to draw it at the moment.

Either way it's not a massive problem.

I currently use nationals, if I use a 14*12 eke, will the bees fill out the existing frames downwards, until such time as I replace in circulation?

Has anyone any experience of this?

Cheers,

oGri

They might go a bit wild if they don't have a 14x12 frame to guide them which is why it's OK to put a nuc colony in a big box. As above, they may not draw much under this year. I still have the odd short frame in which the bees have drawn down. Doesn't bother them or me

I converted seven of mine like this with no problems really I used SN1 side bars cut in half as an extension on the decent frames and I think Dadant foundation doing it this way worked out a third of the price of big T conversion. Frames at the end of life I let the bees drawn down then replaced with new ones I did have the odd one glue a few frames together but worked them out of the hive quickly. You will find a lot of the brace comb will be drone.

I use 14 x 12 in all the 12 hives I look after, but if I need a nuc, it's always on B.S. standard bb frames.

Yes, they would normally draw them out, but at this time of year they may not bother.

My trick is to do a Demaree (q.v.) swarm control the next season, removing the old frames when the brood has hatched in the top box.
The down side of this is that a 14 x 12 bb is really heavy to lift up to the top of the stack for a Demaree. Best done with a friend.

Of course, you could do a straight Bailey Comb Exchange or even a shook swarm next season.

Dusty.

Latest posts

Back