Question about aggressive Buckfasts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hagfish are the bees building up as they should be is there definately enough stores?

They were a bit slow getting started but came through the winter very well. They have only just started raising brood proper now the weather has improved. I was worried about them on my first inspection last week as their stores we a little light but in the week since they have filled a frame and capped it and have about 3 frames full of nectar/uncapped honey. They were very productive last year and filled 2 supers in about two week and there is plenty of forage so I assumed they would be ok this year.
They are my only hive on single brood as the others are on double brood but the queen was doing a good job of laying. They just went really aggressive after winter and I don't know why.

Considering they are synthetic bees, man made, I wouldn't be surprised.

For balance...
some of the hybridised bees produced in the way of Brother Adam, can be very nice and productive bees to keep.
Just giving them the generic title of "Buckfast" does not mean that they will be nice to keep and productive.... I have seen some real so called "Buckfast" horrors!!

New beekeepers should be made aware of this!

Chons da

For balance...
some of the hybridised bees produced in the way of Brother Adam, can be very nice and productive bees to keep.
Just giving them the generic title of "Buckfast" does not mean that they will be nice to keep and productive.... I have seen some real so called "Buckfast" horrors!!

New beekeepers should be made aware of this!

Chons da

Lol am glad you added that for some balance! ....I can honestly say some of the most aggressive bees I have ever come across were some lovely French AMM, and I have removed a good number of Africanised bee colonies. Just adding for balance of course. Beginners should be made aware bees are not always cute and fluffy. I did however enjoy inspecting 8 hives and a couple of overwintered nucs at my school garden site last weekend in nothing but shorts and t-shirt with a veil slung over my back just in case, a pure pleasure.

Last edited:
Lol am glad you added that for some balance! ....I can honestly say some of the most aggressive bees I have ever come across were some lovely French AMM, and I have removed a good number of Africanised bee colonies. Just adding for balance of course. Beginners should be made aware bees are not always cute and fluffy. I did however enjoy inspecting 8 hives and a couple of overwintered nucs at my school garden site last weekend in nothing but shorts and t-shirt with a veil slung over my back just in case, a pure pleasure.

Great until one gets you in the happy sacks!

However "brave" you are.. wear a full beesuit!:calmdown:

Chons da

The only time I have been stung in the “happy sacks” I was actually wearing a full suit....no joke.

I have experienced (and others too) that colonies with heavy mite infestation or with lack of food will turn aggressive, once those issues are dealt with the colony is a bless again.

I have experienced (and others too) that colonies with heavy mite infestation or with lack of food will turn aggressive, once those issues are dealt with the colony is a bless again.

Thank you. They don't really have many mites. I was worried about the amount of food they were bringing in but they seemed ok on last inspection.

Back