Queens, first attempt

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otis Hogg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10 Nationals, 1 WBC, 1 TBH, 5 Nuc
My first attempt are queen rearing, I grafted 10 larvae and 2 have been accepted. Not a great success number wise, but im happy with the results.

Fab...lucky you...just grafted mine today

My first attempt are queen rearing, I grafted 10 larvae and 2 have been accepted. Not a great success ]

If bees rear queen cells in combs, that success is, I could say normal. That is why I use swarming cells in grafting of queen cells.

Last edited:
The thing is...if you have a lot of hives...say 200... Then you will always have queen cells as you can just wait for a good colony to do it for you. If, like me, and others, you only have a few colonies then...we need to be creative in getting queen cells. As you know there are lots of chances of getting swarm cells and lots of chances of losing a swarm too. And apart from that...it is interesting and educational and fun to try the above way of getting queens.

Ha ha.....just because I grafted them doesn't mean they will build them. I did find it difficult to pick them up....the grafting tool bends and flicks them if you are not careful. So trying to pick them up and not turn them is tricky. Just my first attempt too...we will see...

I did find it difficult to pick them up....the grafting tool bends and flicks them if you are not careful. So trying to pick them up and not turn them is tricky.
It helps if you cut back the cell wall a little. I generally just fold it down. Then you have a better angle to slide your grafting tool down and under the lava.
They have spiracles (to allow them to breathe) along one side so try not to turn them over.
Apart from that...the younger, the better. Try to get larvae that you can't even see any segmentation.
Keep at it, it takes practise.

My first attempt are queen rearing, I grafted 10 larvae and 2 have been accepted. Not a great success number wise, but im happy with the results.

Pretty good in my opinion to get two at first attempt, took me ages to get hang of it and still balls it up from time to time!
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK looks great.

For the uninitiated and uneducated in such ways of wizardry and sorcery.

Would love to hear from start and in abridged format. How the hell you do this from start to finish ??

I've been trying queen rearing for the first time this year. I'm on my fifth round and have tried four different systems. During the first three attempts - I managed to get a small collection of cells which ultimately resulted in 5 queens, 3 of which I have wrangled into actual self supporting hives. My fourth attempt was a complete failure across the board and my fifth and latest attempt has about 15 cells started after 24 hours. We'll see how many come to fruition. I have found that getting the queens going seems so simple and yet is very challenging to master. The other thing I've learned about queen rearing is you need a solid amount of bee resources - and by solid amount - I was shocked by the number of bees one actually needs to get results. Its probably best to have 10 or more hives - because the other often overlooked aspect of queens is - 'What happens if you're successful?' I found that even a few hatching cells can cause quite a bit of upheaval as you create new homes for them. And, don't forget getting them well mated. In the end though, Its very satisfying and loads of fun - I would recommend any serious beekeeper try it at least once. And you do tend to get good queens for your efforts which also helps make the experience worthwhile.

Latest posts

Back