Queen Rearing Book

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmys Mum

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Can anyone recommend a decent book on queen rearing? I do fancy trying to raise a few of my own next year if the 'overwintering beehive gods' are on my side :)
I've already waved Hivemakers photos of his mini-nucs under Jimmy's dad's nose and I'm now hoping that Santa will get busy in his workshop and fill my stocking up! :xmas-smiley-016:
In the meantime I thought I'd use the winter months to get clued up with a good read.
Thanks JM

Queen Bee: Biology, Rearing and Breeding by David Woodward, is a good read with plenty of information.

There's a pamplet called "Beutiful Queens and Honey too"

Get Queen Rearing Essentials by Lawrence J Connor

Wicwas Press, tho you can get it at the usual places

Get Queen Rearing Essentials by Lawrence J Connor

Wicwas Press, tho you can get it at the usual places

:iagree: recently bought this book and its a good read.

rgds,

downland.

Queen Bee: Biology, Rearing and Breeding by David Woodward, is a good read with plenty of information.
+1, a practical modern text that covers several approaches including those appropriate for small scale rearing.

Thanks all. Small scale is all I really need, I just wanted to raise a few for my own use but am intrigued by the process, hence wanting to read up. Don't really want to rely on A/S's or splits as some of my colonies, (although strong) are very swarmy stock and another which was A/S'd this summer have also now become frenzied frame runners, very annoying.
Luckily I have 2 smashing colonies to rear from. Shame there's less control over the local drone pool :(

Or the Cloake Board, this is a great system. Starter and finisher in one colony.

I like this one as an easy starter to queen rearing:

go on then....

Thanks all. Small scale is all I really need, I just wanted to raise a few for my own use but am intrigued by the process, hence wanting to read up. Don't really want to rely on A/S's or splits as some of my colonies, (although strong) are very swarmy stock and another which was A/S'd this summer have also now become frenzied frame runners, very annoying.
Luckily I have 2 smashing colonies to rear from. Shame there's less control over the local drone pool :(

Hi Jimmy's mum
A good few people have suggested a board of one type or another and with 4 hives I think that would be the best approach

I think if you make 4 snelgrove boards during the Winter put one on each hive next year before the bees are making swarm preparations.
All the 4 hives will make queen cells above the boards

Knock off all the queen cells in your sub standard stock
In your 2 good colonies you will have frames with queen cells
Brush the bees off the frames gently and swap one frame of sealed brood from the sub standard bees with a frame of brood with a queen cell from your good stock.
Repeat and you should have 4 hives with queen cells from you best queens above the Snelgrove boards
A month later they should be laying up there.

I see you are not keen on the artificial swarm but this is a better method and you will still get a honey crop on all 4 hives.

Grafting or cupkit systems ,queen raising stocks, mini mating hives etc are all simple to get to grips with but they do interfere with your chances of honey on at least one hive out of the 4
If you just fancy giving the grafting etc a try there are some youube videos which give the general idea

I have a Woodward book if anyone wants to borrow it

Thanks Redwood, thats a kind offer but my new copy arrived with the postie this morning. :)

Lots of recommended reading for the Winter, :thanks: ....And lots of good info within this Queen Breeding and Rearing Section too.

Can anyone recommend a decent book on queen rearing?

I think the Paige and Laidlaw is one of the best- the Blue paperback now out of print- Queen Rearing and Bee Breeding. Comprehensive, photos, etc. Looks like Northern Bee Books i the UK might still have it, otherwise Wicwas Press.

Latest posts

Back