Queen of different type

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianf

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone had problems introducing a queen of a different race into any hive. I am almost sure it makes no difference, as long as the bees need a queen. ianf.

Has anyone had problems introducing a queen of a different race into any hive. I am almost sure it makes no difference, as long as the bees need a queen. ianf.

And sometimes they do not need and they tend to kill the offered Queen.

Last edited:
What alternative race would you introduce in the Isle of Islay? A sturdy creature me thinks and how well would the locals appreciate anything new in any case?

No wish to intimidate the Trolls....

Keep to your local bee variety.... a native Amm I should think?

All the honey bee races are related...but some are more related than others.
I use New Zealand Italians to rear native Cornish Amms, however I go to great lengths to prevent them from hybridising

So answer is... yes you can... BUT possibly not such a good idea¬¬

Yeghes da

there was a 1950 experiment in Sri lanka of using Apis mellifera to raise Apis cerane Queens

the queen cells were made and the A cerane queens were larger than native A cerane queens

No wish to intimidate the Trolls....

Keep to your local bee variety.... a native Amm I should think?

All the honey bee races are related...but some are more related than others.
I use New Zealand Italians to rear native Cornish Amms, however I go to great lengths to prevent them from hybridising

So answer is... yes you can... BUT possibly not such a good idea¬¬

Yeghes da

Says the Troll who disappeared under the bridge and prodded and poked in disguise for a few months!

If you love the AMM you claim exists so much why oh why do you still have NZ bees?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Says the Troll who disappeared under the bridge and prodded and poked in disguise for a few months!

If you love the AMM you claim exists so much why oh why do you still have NZ bees?

Cornish AMM,
Question, why Cornish AMM is so rare?

Latest posts

Back