Queen looked in trouble

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyJThompson

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi every one,

During my routine inspection of 2 small swarms I collected back on July 15th
I noticed in the 2nd that 8-9 bees were balling the Queen and it looked as though they were trying to pull off her wings not sure what to think so looking for some advice. There were no queen cells plenty of eggs, brood and stores. The only diffrence about this hive was on a past inspection i didn't push two frames together which enabled them to create brace comb which i had decided to leave but broke off today. Any advice if there maybe a problem with the queen greatfully recieved. After reading a past post, not quite sure i remeber who but the advice was to take a compact camera with me to get some snaps. The results are quite impressive though you will see 2 varroa mites. I have bought some Apilifvar strips to treat them with but was unsure of dosage due to it not being a full colony.

Well enough of my ramble and here are the pics.

Good pics Barranak...unnerving to see the the vermin on the bees / hive. Suspect somebody more knowledgeable than I will come an give you the answers to your questions you require.

Sally

take a look at this - i know it's two workers - but the idea is the same - armpit nibbling:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsQx3rbc-98[/ame]

and this is normal circle of attendants:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LdYjuA8GKU[/ame]

Great vids the bees looked like they are being nice to the Queen. In my hive they were riding on her back and hanging on to her wings.

"In my hive they were riding on her back and hanging on to her wings"

have you managed to get some workers off of a premiership footballer?

Thanks for the pics, now I know what varroa mites look like and have seen them in context! Would you believe in a year and a bit of beekeeping I've never seen a Varroa mite even though I keep looking and checking for drop every inspection.

First swarm a prime, the second a cast?
Does the second colony have a mated queen?

If not I was wondering if the queen in question had been out on a mating flight and returned to the wrong hive. Although its on the 3 week line for mating if you've had poor weather recently it could of been extended. Ideally she should mate within the first and second weeks and then take a day or two before she starts to lay so its only a slim possibility but this could be your answer.

Both fully laying queens when collected. They had already been in old abandoned hives for a number of weeks before i collected. They had already been laying and been through full cycle of eggs to emerging bees.

Latest posts

Back