Queen flew away??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all
So 2 weeks ago during an inspection of one of our 3 hives, found a queen emerging from her cell!! Didn't realise the resident queen was gone/failing or whatever.
It was amazing but she didn't look too good and then we saw another one walking about. Looked very well. Not sure if she was the original queen or a new one. We saw a couple open queen cells so decided to close up and leave them to it until today. (exactly 2 weeks)
Didn't see any brook, eggs or larvae and then eventually found one queen on the very last frame of the bottom brood (of 2).
As we are looking at her in wonder she suddenly flies up and we lost sight of her coz of all the bees buzzing around. No idea if she flew back into the frames or flew away. Is this normal?
Now counting back, if she emerged roughly 2 weeks ago, she should have already gone for her mating flight right? 4 days ago? So would she know her way back? If she had gone for her mating flight, should she not be laying by now?
We're going to have a look next weekend and if we have no queen we'll combine the hive with the smaller of the other 2 hives for the winter. But that's 7 whole days of suspense. So any hints would be great

i had one fly away a few weeks ago whilst i was trying to mark her
checked the hive yesterday and lots of capped worker brood, so she found her way back
fingers crossed yours comes home as well ....

Now counting back, if she emerged roughly 2 weeks ago, she should have already gone for her mating flight right? 4 days ago?

Could be up to a month before a queen goes on mating flights, could be five days, no strict timetable they stick with, weather conditions play a big part.

She would of been on orientation flights, i expect, and know her way back into the hive, if nice weather it would be best to open a hive with a virgin in during either early morning or in the evening, just encase she she happens to be out on mating flights in the middle of the day.

In my first season, I tried to 'encourage' a queen from a brood super into the lower brood box. She just flew off!

I shut up the hive and went back the next week. Sure enough, she was still in residence and laying well.

Needless to say, I told no one what a twit I'd been.
Just our little secret, Abbee!

Dusty

no laying queen no new bees, not good to go into winter. I would unite to late now to wait for a virgin to get mated. it's true don't take it as precise what you read in books, getting queens mated take sometimes alot longer

Got a superseedure going on, hoping she will be out this week doing her mating flights. She has emerged and her mum is still in the hive laying. Fingers crossed. The bees know best.

Removed a supersedure cell and gave them back the old AS queen. Maqs caused the supersedure and they behaved as if Q- last week, as they did again when I removed supersedure cell. They seemed pleased to see the old girl, so I ran her in! Time will tell if I was right.

when I've had a queen take flight I leave the hive as it is carry on with some else for 20 mins or so then close up hive queen normally returns

Thanks all for feedback
Checked hive yesterday and saw the queen.;) But no eggs and no larvae :(
We're going to leave it a few more days and if the same we'll combine.

Back