queen clipping tool?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglongdarren

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
what scissors or clippers do people use for clipping there queens?
looking to buy a pair but not sure what to go for,
cheers Darren

I use some which have a spring in the handle to open them and which have thin razor sharp blades. They are very good, even in gloved hands.

Stainless steel spring scissors (as used by fly fishermen). Can be used in either hand. Blades already open and are closed by simple squeezing action.

Summerslease: are you picking up the queen to be clipped with a gloved hand? Hopefully nitrile disposable and not thick leather.

Last edited:
We were taught to use nail scissors, gloves off. Yep, got stung (by worker).

Stainless steel spring scissors (as used by fly fishermen). Can be used in either hand. Blades already open and are closed by simple squeezing action.

Summerslease: are you picking up the queen to be clipped with a gloved hand? Hopefully nitrile disposable and not thick leather.

The first time I used thick black rubber gloves. I learned from my mistake and use nitriles now for all manipulations. It did take a while to get used to the feeling of the bees walking over my hands.

I bought a pair of scissors from a Singer sewing machine shop near work - small embroidery scissors. They are brightly coloured which might make them easier to find if dropped in the grass.....

Fiskars dressmaking snips (model 4014 or 9495o33) … good blades, bright orange handle.

i went for the Dr. Slick Synthetics Scissors Straight Serrated Blade for Fly Tying, and clipped a good few queens yesterday, worked very well.
Darren

Latest posts

Back