Queen cell in Apidea

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cussword

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Still just the 1
I put a queen cell in an apidea with some workers. Is the fact that they have stayed in the apidea for six days even though she has not (yet) emerged, a good sign?

Out of two things that could happen, stay with the queen cell or fly away and leave it, then I would consider staying as a good sign.

I put a queen cell in an apidea with some workers. Is the fact that they have stayed in the apidea for six days even though she has not (yet) emerged, a good sign?

A good sign would be to have a virgin queen emerge from the cell and to have drawn worker comb (those workers are getting older all the time - when is the cell due to emerge?)

Cell is best introduced to apidea, say a day or so before it is due to emerge. The denizens of the apidea are not best at keeping the cell warm. Close to emerging the cell, or indeed any brood, needs less warmth - that is the reason for doing so.

Do you mean 6 days after it was due to emerge?
If that is the case, it won't emerge and you will need to substitute it for another cell/virgin

No, sorry, I mean that it's been sealed six days today. I was just hoping that the fact that the workers stayed with it was a positive sign that the cell was viable.

Cell is best introduced to apidea, say a day or so before it is due to emerge. The denizens of the apidea are not best at keeping the cell warm. Close to emerging the cell, or indeed any brood, needs less warmth - that is the reason for doing so.

Day 14 that is.. with day 0 being day egg laid +/- a day as you can never be sure
Ditch that q cell for another and add another shake of young brood ( ones that do not fly off from brood comb when it is a warm afternoon!)

Please to see you are raising you own queens rather than importing the OVERSEAS pox ridden rubbish!!

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back