Prime swarm and can you name these pollen grains?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
called out to a swarm last Thursday and this is what i was confronted with.

Also can anyone manr the plant these pollen grains come from? I bet no one guesses correctly.

Mo

Great looking swarm. I bet there is a lot of work to do to get them through winter.

The pollen grains are from the plant Peace PlantSpathiphylum cochlearispath not much help to honey bees but the pattern on the exine is really exsquisit.
Mo

So bee ginnner i am really impressed, seriously, did you know that or just saying it and do you study pollen?I have a large collection of pollen slides and if anyone wishes to know what a pollen looks like from a particular plant then please ask away , i might not have any exotic plants but i think i have the common ones.

Mo

So bee ginnner i am really impressed, seriously, did you know that or just saying it and do you study pollen?Mo

I think the winking smiley answers that question!

Those pollen grains look like gooseberrys to me. (actual fruit not the pollen)

baggy

Wow, great swarm:.) As for pollen, I'm booked onto the 2 microscopy workshops at the NHS this year but that will be my starting point for anything microscopic.

Hi justme welcome to the fasinating world of microscopy.

Mo

Hey skyhook
I should read all the written posts and i need to lighten up.

Mo

Latest posts

Back