price of a smoker

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you pay £69 for this smoker

Yes, but I would have to become a little more mentally challenged than I already am.:)

LOL its just one that you can buy for 25 quid, just that hes gone to the trouble of removing the tin plate coating. Some people eh? lol

I offered a quid for it - not heard back yet... :party:

R2

Why do people nibble on ebay?

Code:
 Member Id: random( 101)    £11.00 04-Jul-11 22:52:13 BST  
 Member Id: o***5( 310)     £10.50 05-Jul-11 06:37:24 BST  
 Member Id: o***5( 310)     £8.50 05-Jul-11 06:37:03 BST  
 Member Id: o***5( 310)     £4.50 05-Jul-11 06:36:04 BST  
 Member Id: o***5( 310)     £3.50 05-Jul-11 06:35:43 BST  
 Member Id: o***5( 310)     £2.30 05-Jul-11 06:35:21 BST  
 Member Id: o***5( 310)     £1.90 05-Jul-11 06:34:57 BST  
 Member Id: o***5( 310)     £1.50 05-Jul-11 06:34:12 BST

eBay isn't like a real Auction in that there is a fixed time limit.
In the above example random has placed a proxy bid of at least 11 quid (note the earlier time of their bid).
o***5 doesn't understand how to get the best out of ebay and is nibbling away a bid increment at a time. No doubt s/he will continue until they outbid random or time runs out.

Here's how to win on ebay:
Set Auctionsniper to bid your max right at the end (this stops o***5 from bidding again as there's no more time!)
Sit back and let the software work for you.

Of course you can do without the software and just bid your max right at the end (some enjoy that) but if you're at work or it's 3 in the morning then the few cents it costs is worth it.

The other option is to nuclear bid - stick a huge bid in (say a million pounds) - you're bound to win but watch out for another bidder using the same tactic - that queen cage could prove expensive!

R2 (874
iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif
)

Last edited:
Why do people nibble on ebay?

Code:
 Member Id: random( 101)    £11.00 04-Jul-11 22:52:13 BST  
 Member Id: o***5( 310)     £10.50 05-Jul-11 06:37:24 BST  
 Member Id: o***5( 310)     £8.50 05-Jul-11 06:37:03 BST  
 Member Id: o***5( 310)     £4.50 05-Jul-11 06:36:04 BST  
 Member Id: o***5( 310)     £3.50 05-Jul-11 06:35:43 BST  
 Member Id: o***5( 310)     £2.30 05-Jul-11 06:35:21 BST  
 Member Id: o***5( 310)     £1.90 05-Jul-11 06:34:57 BST  
 Member Id: o***5( 310)     £1.50 05-Jul-11 06:34:12 BST

eBay isn't like a real Auction in that there is a fixed time limit.
In the above example random has placed a proxy bid of at least 11 quid (note the earlier time of their bid).
o***5 doesn't understand how to get the best out of ebay and is nibbling away a bid increment at a time. No doubt s/he will continue until they outbid random or time runs out.

Here's how to win on ebay:
Set Auctionsniper to bid your max right at the end (this stops o***5 from bidding again as there's no more time!)
Sit back and let the software work for you.

Of course you can do without the software and just bid your max right at the end (some enjoy that) but if you're at work or it's 3 in the morning then the few cents it costs is worth it.

The other option is to nuclear bid - stick a huge bid in (say a million pounds) - you're bound to win but watch out for another bidder using the same tactic - that queen cage could prove expensive!

R2 (874
iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif
)

My Ebay "tactic".
1) What is the most I want to pay for the item?
2) Bid that much.
3) Check after auction

errrr thats it! No software, no waiting at 3am etc.

Its not difficult.

It is the ones that put on extra bids as a 'frightener' to other bidders (ie they are shown as top bidder #1 and the 'under-bidder'.

One can always make the seller that extra 'one increment' with little fear of winning the item - as the top bidder (with the spare bid) has already bid that next increment, and possibly more. It also demonstrates to all, if that bid was their top bid or not.

Naughty, but sometimes sorts out the serious bidders from the 'frighteners'.

RAB

I use jbidwatch free sniping software. It does what is needed, costs nothing and takes all the effort out. The trouble with bidding in advance is that whatever you chose as your maximum, your maximum + 1 bid inc is probably still a price you would pay.

I use jbidwatch free sniping software. It does what is needed, costs nothing and takes all the effort out. The trouble with bidding in advance is that whatever you chose as your maximum, your maximum + 1 bid inc is probably still a price you would pay.

You appear to have misunderstood the concept of maximum.

My Ebay "tactic".
1) What is the most I want to pay for the item?
2) Bid that much.
3) Check after auction

errrr thats it! No software, no waiting at 3am etc.

Its not difficult.

A dodgy tactic unless you do it at the last few seconds as others can react and outbid you. Sniping is the only way although you must remember that it's the highest bid that wins, not the last bid!

Looking at the auction quoted above, I see someone is bidding xx.99 - madness - the .99 is a selling tactic and most people bid their max as xx.00 so you're almost certainly going to be outbid. Snipping xx.01 means that you often win by 1 cent/pence - result!!!

R2

agree with R2. stupid not to.

drew - bidding your max "upfront" means you show your hand. use a sniper. set it for the max you are willing to pay. sorted.

pros - don't show hand. not drawn into bidding war. no probs with inconvenient end times. gives other bidders a sense of complacency - "no need to up my bid as no-one seriously interested....bang. what happened!"

cons - occasionally an early bidder will have got in with a max less than you are willing to bid but the difference is less than an accepted bid increment so they win. very occasionally sniper misses end of auction.

also agree with rab - it is fun occasionally to look at the bidding history and push up prices for something with no risk of winning.

Last edited:
A dodgy tactic unless you do it at the last few seconds as others can react and outbid you. Sniping is the only way although you must remember that it's the highest bid that wins, not the last bid!

Looking at the auction quoted above, I see someone is bidding xx.99 - madness - the .99 is a selling tactic and most people bid their max as xx.00 so you're almost certainly going to be outbid. Snipping xx.01 means that you often win by 1 cent/pence - result!!!

R2

agree with R2. stupid not to.

drew - bidding your max "upfront" means you show your hand. use a sniper. set it for the max you are willing to pay. sorted.

pros - don't show hand. not drawn into bidding war. no probs with inconvenient end times. gives other bidders a sense of complacency - "no need to up my bid as no-one seriously interested....bang. what happened!"

cons - occasionally an early bidder will have got in with a max less than you are willing to bid but the difference is less than an accepted bid increment so they win. very occasionally sniper misses end of auction.

also agree with rab - it is fun occasionally to look at the bidding history and push up prices for something with no risk of winning.

Sorry Lads - I still disagree.
I don't see "buying something at a greater cost than I wanted to pay" as winning. I don't see "stopping someone else buying" as winning

If I bid the best price - I get to buy it. If I don't I get to bid on another one. If off the 000s of things on sale a sniper happens to pick the one I want - let em have it - I'll just go for another one.

Same as in a real auction - I don't get dragged into bidding wars just to "win".

Each to his own obviously - if you want to "win" good luck to you.

"I don't see buying something at a greater cost than I wanted to pay as winning"

I did NOT say that:

"use a sniper. set it for the max you are willing to pay. sorted."

Doing this means you've set your max without showing your hand and since people get drawn into bidding "wars" or get complacent, you will often get the item for much less then you would have done if you bid upfront.

for example - 2 of you want same item and know the true value. you each bid same amount. the person who bids first wins but at their max. same happens with a sniped bid - you lose. however for many items people know the value of item but fancy having a go at getting it cheap so they bid low first. your snipe will almost always win and often at much less then you were willing to pay.

Above all else, do your research and be patient; so many times you see an item go for more than it can be purchased new through other online retailers or a similar item sells on ebay within a couple of days for much less than the one you are after.

the other advantage of snipers is you can set them up to bid on several similar items but only if you loose the preceding auction - contingency bids.

if you tried that by bidding direct on ebay you'd wake up with 3 overpriced smokers to pay for instead of just one!!!!

Back