Prevention of hive theft

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherwood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
20+National,commercial langstroth
I have recently come across G-tags made by gigaset these device enable you to monitor the location of your hives,keys,motors etc. via a mobile smart phone. The ones I obtained 5off for under £45 all in. The devices are 35mm square and 7mm deep. easy to hide in a hive and even embed in a frame of wax. Of course it doesn't prevent theft but does tell you where abouts to find your stolen hive to within 25 mtrs aproximately.

does tell you where abouts to find your stolen hive to within 25 mtrs aproximately

Only if your phone is within 25 metres of the tag. Unfortunately the GPS is provided by the phone, not the tag.

Only if your phone is within 25 metres of the tag. Unfortunately the GPS is provided by the phone, not the tag.

I am told that if you load google maps on your phone that it will locate the tag anywhere. I have yet to try this so I will let you know.

Wonder if these work ??
Theft seems to be on the increase....
Time BBKA sorted a decent insurance policy

Bought 5 of these for the crumblies!

Haven't been able to check how they work over longer distances yet, but,

was asked if I could get more for;

Wallet,
Handbag,
Glasses,
Car keys,
Oh and of course, SMART PHONE!
:ohthedrama:

Wonder if these work ??
Theft seems to be on the increase....
Time BBKA sorted a decent insurance policy

At the ADM the BBKA announced a new insurance policy for assets .. eg hives etc. Or rather an insurer attended and said so.. Premiums from £12 pa but for what level of cover I have no idea.
So something new is coming but what and when and costs ? I have no clue.

Thing is, the boys in blue are too busy tipping doughnuts & coffee to be interested in any "small" crime!

Police car parked in the "collection only" parking at Morrisons Leamington yesterday,
two of them walking out with their shopping as we pay their wages & petrol!:hairpull:

At the ADM the BBKA announced a new insurance policy for assets .. eg hives etc. Or rather an insurer attended and said so.. Premiums from £12 pa but for what level of cover I have no idea.
So something new is coming but what and when and costs ? I have no clue.

That came about last year so I made extensive enquiries with the insurer. They will only cover you if the bees are in your own back garden - or securely locked up in a building every night!!!!!

That came about last year so I made extensive enquiries with the insurer. They will only cover you if the bees are in your own back garden - or securely locked up in a building every night!!!!!

Ditto

NFU Mutual have a policy that covers all eventualities.... but not aimed at the hobbyist.

Insisted that the trailer is secured at all times with an "approved" theft prevention device... unless being towed!

Yeghes da

Thing is, the boys in blue are too busy tipping doughnuts & coffee to be interested in any "small" crime!

Police car parked in the "collection only" parking at Morrisons Leamington yesterday,
two of them walking out with their shopping as we pay their wages & petrol!:hairpull:

Have you ever worked Martin? If you have, have you ever gone to the super market,filling station or corner shop to buy some nosh? And then proceeded to go somewhere to chew on it as well?

If I remember rightly, these “boys in blue” need something to eat as well during a 10 to 18 hour shift whether you pay their wages and petrol!

If you are still critical of them for going to a store, then if you work, try going each day without food and see what it’s like. Good for them that they managed to get something at Morrison’s!

Any “boys in blue” reading this site, you do a great job and the majority of the public support you...... even if you go to Morrison’s..... and even Lidl!

Regards

Have you ever worked Martin? If you have, have you ever gone to the super market,filling station or corner shop to buy some nosh? And then proceeded to go somewhere to chew on it as well?

If I remember rightly, these “boys in blue” need something to eat as well during a 10 to 18 hour shift whether you pay their wages and petrol!

If you are still critical of them for going to a store, then if you work, try going each day without food and see what it’s like. Good for them that they managed to get something at Morrison’s!

Any “boys in blue” reading this site, you do a great job and the majority of the public support you...... even if you go to Morrison’s..... and even Lidl!

Regards

Which Planet Cornwall do you live in... Truro?

Here in the greatgreygreengreaseytamarrivervalleyallsetaboutwithemplyunaffordablesecondhomes......
We ONLY see the police when they are lost!!!

Yeghes da

Looks interesting! Might print off the small print and have a read

They will only cover you if the bees are in your own back garden - or securely locked up in a building every night!!!!!

So I just need to build a brick shed close enough to make tucking them away at night simple & easy??????????/

Devil's always in the small print!

Bought 5 of these for the crumblies!

Haven't been able to check how they work over longer distances yet, ...

G-tags work with Bluetooth.
Bluetooth ranges are quite small (25-30m), so the tag is going to need to be within the range of a receiving master device [mobile phone / laptop app]. So useless for out-apiaries, might be useful if your hive is within 25m of where your mobile phone is at night.

Each individual tag will need to be bluetooth paired with the controlling device which will also need the requisite app to communicate with the tag. It's unlikely that a thief on discovering a bluetooth device in his new hive, will connect to it using the correct app, and then [if the app has that capability] allow it to transmit it's location over the internet to the true owner. Some felons are stupid enough to, but I wouldn't rely on that.

g-tag may to be useful for finding your car keys down the back of the sofa, but is the wrong product for hive protection.

What's likely to happen is the tag will get stolen with the hive, it won't be capable of 'phoning home', and it'll either be found or it's battery run out without any information being sent back to the owner.

I looked at a similar product called NUT that worked in a similar way but if you lost the NUT you registered it as lost on their website and then every other NUT users phone would search for it in their area. In theory it might have been possible to get an indication of where the thieves had taken it to provided there is a friendly NUT owner in that location!

Back