Preserving hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocko

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

So maybe I should have done this earlier but I need to preserve 2 hives for use this season. I know this is quite debated, but what is the best/most common way to preserve a pine hive?

Someone mentioned to me ronseal clear? Can anyone give any specific names for tried and tested preserves they have used on their hives previously

Many thanks

Andy

Water based products preferred. Ideally allow product to fully dry before adding bees. Cuprinol clear was the product of choice but the EU scuppered that one.

I generally use Cuprinol in various colours including some rather garish ones (including bright yellow)

Hi, The five year no odor clear stuff I used last year and my hives are as good as new, caution when coated leave for a few weeks for any fumes to disappear and only coat the outside although some beekeepers have coated their hives with bees inside

Water based products preferred. Ideally allow product to fully dry before adding bees. Cuprinol clear was the product of choice but the EU scuppered that one.

I generally use Cuprinol in various colours including some rather garish ones (including bright yellow)

I just picked up a tin of Cuprinol Wood Preserver Clear. It describes itself as "a low-odour, pre-treatment for bare wood that protects against rot and decay".

Reading the back it says it's solvent-based... and goes on to say "If Cuprinol Wood Preserver Clear is used on wood outdoors it must be over coated with a woodstain or paint".

This final point rather defeats the object - are people painting/staining on top of the Cuprinol clear, or just making do with 1-2 coats of it?

Couple of coats of ronseal clear then a few coats of ducks back

This final point rather defeats the object

Not at all. There is a subtle difference between a preservative and a surface coating.

They can go together as a 'system'.

Ronseal Satin Antique Pine "Quick Dry" even painted with bees in hive at dusk with no ill affects. Don't coat inside hive at all.

Modern-blend creosote - on the outsides only and at least a week before it goes into use, preferably two. Works fine but a lot of people recommend using something like Ronseal or Cuprinol instead (I just had it lying around).

Hi Mocko, I used Osmo UV Protection Oil 410. I was assured it could be used on bee hives by the makers of the stuff. No biocides or anything harmful. Just leave it out for three days or so. Two coats protects for three years. It did cost £22 for ¾ liter but this covered 14x12 nuc two 14x12 brood boxes and floors plus roofs and six supers.

I have been using Cuprinol Garden Shades on my hives and it does the job well.

Latest posts

Back