Preparing bees for auction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscarmonster

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I am considering disposing of one spare colony in our local beekeeping auction on 29th march.
I have read the FERA leaflet on selling nucs as basic guidance.
Does anyone have any suggestions as how best to prepare them over the next month.

Disposing? Not the best word to use when trying to sell something it conjures up the wrong image

Last edited:
A good grooming usually impresses the buyer - maybe i could interest you in one of my extra fine tortoiseshell bee combs? a snip at only £12.99 a piece. Remember to polish their hooves as well and get there early to allow plenty of time for the stewards to stick all the numbers on their little backsides

I am considering disposing of one spare colony in our local beekeeping auction on 29th march.
I have read the FERA leaflet on selling nucs as basic guidance.
Does anyone have any suggestions as how best to prepare them over the next month.

Contact your local Bee Inspector; check for disease.

I have a few over wintered 6 frame nucs that I am selling and I imagine the prep will be the same although I am not working to a set date.
I won't be letting them go anywhere until I have done an initial check that they are viable and then a full inspection when the weather allows. They will go to their new homes when the have a minimum of 3 frames of bias and the capability to expand into a full brood box (dummies as appropriate).
I will obviously meet the new owners and want them to be pleased with their new bees and not have any comeback. I guess at auction this isn't really the case.
They should be a viable colony regardless so check soon as you get chance and maybe encourage brooding if you feel they need it to meet the deadline.

Good luck

A good grooming usually impresses the buyer - maybe i could interest you in one of my extra fine tortoiseshell bee combs? a snip at only £12.99 a piece. Remember to polish their hooves as well and get there early to allow plenty of time for the stewards to stick all the numbers on their little backsides

hehehe this made my chuckle over my coffee for a good few minutes this morning - well played

Are you discounting ? ... You charged me £15.99 for one last week ! And that hoof polish was just beeswax - I'm off to the office of fair trading if you don't change your ways !!

Are you discounting ? ... You charged me £15.99 for one last week ! And that hoof polish was just beeswax - I'm off to the office of fair trading if you don't change your ways !!

That's what you get when you deal with a company based in the arse end of nowhere.

Hi Oscarmonster.
I expect you do encourage brooding, as the whole point of buying an overwintered nuc is that all the bees in the box is from that queen. That's why a lot of nucs swarm so soon after newbie taking delivery! Take care!

are those the tic combs that you couldnt sell on ebay.?

Latest posts

Back