Premature Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

I ordered a mated queen, spoke to the supplier yesterday asking if he could get it out this week and was pleased when he said he could. A wee bit surprised when I got a message from my wife expressing her shock that a buzzing parcel had just arrived in the post. Anyway this has rather thrown a spanner in my timings for what I was going to do with her (make a Nuc and introduce her to it this weekend), particularly as I'm currently without frames!

The only thing I've got spare at the moment is an Apidea, is it worth putting some bees into that with her and some feed for a few days until I've made the nuc, or am I better off keeping her in her cage until then?

Thanks

Norman

she'll keep in the cage for a good few days no problem, in the dark, warm but not hot. You could occasionally give them a little water - just a few drops on your fingertip rubbed against the cage, or rest the cage on a damp piece of kitchen towel for a few minutes a day.Even give them a tiny bit of (your own) honey the same way. Queens survive in the post for ages, known of some coming from Cyprus that were delayed for weeks due to being held for customs examination - they were still OK

I kept one two years ago for a week in a cool pantry (or to. be truthful my wife did as I was away) with water and a light syrup. She went on to lay within a week after I had arrived home and introduced her; the only problem was that the 'sealing' fondant was nearly gone so I added some paper.

Now had the Royal Mail delivered as promised by 1300 Friday rather than 3 days later she would have been introduced on time.

I got a message from my wife expressing her shock that a buzzing parcel had just arrived in the post.

Most queen producers only ship bees out in the early part of the week to avoid them sitting in a post office over the weekend.
I am waiting for a shipment from Germany but it seems they have a postal strike there so they can't ship bees until its over.

Latest posts

Back