Prefered Super Setup?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the many replies everyone, it seems there is value in having adjustable spacing in the super but only at the outset, to get the comb drawn and maintain order. Once all the frames are drawn, the fewer frames the more economical the super space becomes 9 frames seems the an advantage here. General preference seems to be for SN1 or Manley with little love for SN2/4/5, while I understand the physical difference and have read that the Manley was developed to prevent rocking of frames while in transit, hive relocation hasn't been mentioned so are there other reason why Manley's may reign superior over the SN1? Do those who use Manley's generally space 9 to avoid excess propolising of the almost touching frames if they were space 10 to a box...but this kind of defeats their purpose doesn't it? (psafloyd - I'd be interested to hear how you get on in relation to this)?

Does anyone use drone foundation to further increase the honey to wax ratio (I appreciate this will be minimal - but cost of drone and worker seems to be the same) and it would also reduce the initial comb building task? wired foundation seem a no-brainer unless the desire is to produce cut comb, in which case I don't think I'd want to be chewing on anything else than virgin comb.

I did see a vid once of a tool for spacing frames (well a pair of tools). It was like a comb with appropriately spaced dowels. slightly pointed which could be pressed in to the super and evenly space the frames. Various spacing could obviously be set up. Does anyone have experience with such a device? I'll dig out the link if I can remember where it was.

Picking up on the debate about uncapping and quantity of capping with more widely spaced frames, does anyone use a hot air gun to uncap. It was suggested at an apiary talk and as being a very clean uncapping method as the thin capping tend to shrink back to the comb wall, does anyone advice/advise against this before I go out and buy a hot air gun?

Cheers,
Dan.

I use 10 space castellations in all my supers. I uncap all mine back to the frame.

???????
Really not following the logic of that.
Quicker as one less frame to fiddle with.
Absolutely no need to uncap any deeper than usual.
No faff required.
Cazza
Your opinion - not mine unfortunately. much prefer ten to a box

There was something on the forum a while ago about keeping the frames spaced the same as in the brood box as it gives better air flow for the bees to ripen the honey. I use Manleys self spaced and run colony's warm way. I find that supers get filled from the front and , when the bees get most frames full I turn it round pushing the frames to the other side of the super.

I noticed that some of the capped supper whch were taken out of my hives a few days ago have the cells built deeper than the others.. Unequal spacing I assume as I was starting to get ill when inspecting and put them back in a bit of a rush.

Do those who use Manley's generally space 9 to avoid excess propolising of the almost touching frames if they were space 10 to a box...but this kind of defeats their purpose doesn't it? .

Think you answered your own question there - Manleys are 'self spacing - meant to sit against each other - that's why you use a runner not castellations

Been using manleys since I started and moving away from them as the bees seem to draw the comb very unevenly and they get welded together with propolis.

Latest posts

Back