Powering a Varrox

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW I think I've learnt more about batteries from o90o's posts on this thread than I'd ever grasped before.
Thanks RAB :)

What I have also learnt today is that a heavy duty battery from my four wheel drive vehicle bl**dy hurts when you drop it on your foot :D it's one I replaced from my 'new' vehicle as it was on the way out - does ten vapes then it's almost discharged, but it was due for the scrap man anyway so it will do until it gives up the ghost. good enough for me as the home apiary is at the top of the garden so a quick half dozen at a time during my 'lunch break' is ideal - I can drive the vehicle right up to the ones at Carreg and just take it straight from under the bonnet

Thx RAB.....my battery did the 8 hives but I didn't dip it in water to Cool between hives....I forgot that bit!
It is always a bit windy here though ...even on a quiet day ...so as long as you stand the right side of each hive...no lungfuls of vapour! Perhaps that was why the battery was good...it didnt have to keep heating the varroa tray!
My sympathies JenkinsBM....I bet you hopped about....a battery is very heavy. I expect your foot will be black tomorrow!

Last edited:
Why Mark allows you to post on his forum is beyond me.

The post is pertinent to the thread, and if your opinion is to ignore the manufacturer's instructions then you have no need to use childish language to make your point.

Personally I would rather go with the manufacturer than one of your rants.

My, My. You must be one of the truly non-thinkers. If you are unable to read my posts and understand how/why those instructions are real rubbish. No childish language anywhere in my posts, as far as I can see. I repeat That instruction is rubbish Full stop. If you think not, do at least try to make some justification for your petulant crybaby outburst.

Perhaps you should run along and find some evidence to show what I have written is wrong, before you spout about instructions that were likely written before Lithium ion cells were marketed/available to the masses.

I suggest you go away and do some research - and only return when you have some useful contribution to the thread . Like when you might have something which is akin to 'playing the ball, not the player'.

As an aside to other forum members reading this: Doing some resarch will likely free the forum of another whiner for quite a while. He can follow those instructions blindly. I don't really care a jot. But it is gratifying that there may be many others who will be thinking before purchasing a 40Ah battery to sublimate their couple of hives, and have actually learned something from the thread. 40Ah @12 volts is about the size for starting small petrol engined cars, or for powering mobility buggies for several miles with their passenger (they are usually powered by two approx 17Ah 12 volt batteries in series, btw).

Those battery re-conditioners that put an HF high-voltage (lead-acid accumulators have high impedance to HF AC) across the terminals allow me to get away with all sorts of abuse of the MG Midget battery I borrow to vape without the S.G. at full charge going down. Worth a look; I'll see if I can find a link.

I use a 12v power supply and extension cable. Under £9 from eBay.

Yet another good idea if hives are in range of a mains connection. Unfortunately a lot of hives are in more remote places.

Need a link as most 12.5A versions are a little more than £9, or are 'out of stock' so price is unavailable.

No good for one poster, mind - he would likely need one of at least a kilowatt, and maybe two!

I still can't see what is wrong with pointing out the manufacturer's recommendations.

If the cable is long you will get considerable voltage drop when using 12 volts.

Another point to remember when using a modern battery - do not let the voltage drop below 12 volts or you will not be able to recharge the battery with these new battery chargers. However, they may be able o be recharged if you connect the battery to another charged battery , positive to positive and negative to negative and leave for about half an hour. The battery should then charge. I was in the dog house when I left my wife's off road mobility scooter with the lights on, I was able to recharge the batteries this way, saving me nearly £400 for new batteries.

Mike

I still can't see what is wrong with pointing out the manufacturer's recommendations.

Nothing whatever wrong in doing so, it was a very pertinent action to take under the circumstances.
Undoubtedly Oliver90Owner is a knowledgeable individual, but he should take issue with the manufacturers, if he believes their recommendations are out of date or otherwise misleading. Then he would be helping all purchasers and not merely those who might read his contributions here.

My objection was to that _____ post No 39(?)

Lets just have a closer look at that so-called instruction supposedly quoted. It says just a little more than ______ posted, for starters. Either he cannot read, cannot think, or just posted only part of it on purpose. If you don't believe me, look for yourself.

Either way, that instruction is rubbish. I pointed out my reasons in my post. ______ did nothing other than post mis-information (as it happens I did not look for the instructions prior to that). Erichalfbee and Tremyfro have demonstrated (practically) quite clearly that a 7 1/2 Ah battery is perfectly adequate for at least a couple hives, if not rather more.

Even big T do not issue such an instruction on their site.

Go figure. I see ________ is still posting but clearly has no argument as to the validity of his misreadings/misleading post No justifications, even, for not posting the truth in his first non-useful post.

Go figure..... He has been relatively quiet since he changed his sceen name. Back to old tricks, maybe? It seems that leopards can change their spots but their behaviour does not necessarily change. Perhaps after showing himself in true colours he will change his name yet again.

I have followed this posting as I had just bought a small battery. I was wondering about those solar chargers? How do they effect the battery...other than charging it? Would being on a continuous trickle charge shorten the life of the battery? We have a caravan and you can buy solar chargers for the batteries. I think they are sealed gel type batteries....I know they are very expensive. You can buy solar chargers for mobiles...would they work for my vaping battery? And what size would I need? And do you actually leave them on charge all the time?

Yet another good idea if hives are in range of a mains connection. Unfortunately a lot of hives are in more remote places.

Need a link as most 12.5A versions are a little more than £9, or are 'out of stock' so price is unavailable.

No good for one poster, mind - he would likely need one of at least a kilowatt, and maybe two!

This is the current posting of the one I bought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Stock-...hash=item232fa76535:m:mqHDAlWODh1BCJQ4IE6Qbsw

I have it on a board and will be adding a switch in due course. The board Is at the apiary with an RCD fitted extension from the house. If you like I can post a picture when I get home later in the week.

My objection was to that _____ post No 39(?)

Lets just have a closer look at that so-called instruction supposedly quoted. It says just a little more than ______ posted, for starters. Either he cannot read, cannot think, or just posted only part of it on purpose. If you don't believe me, look for yourself.

Either way, that instruction is rubbish. I pointed out my reasons in my post. ______ did nothing other than post mis-information (as it happens I did not look for the instructions prior to that). Erichalfbee and Tremyfro have demonstrated (practically) quite clearly that a 7 1/2 Ah battery is perfectly adequate for at least a couple hives, if not rather more.

Even big T do not issue such an instruction on their site.

Go figure. I see ________ is still posting but clearly has no argument as to the validity of his misreadings/misleading post No justifications, even, for not posting the truth in his first non-useful post.

Go figure..... He has been relatively quiet since he changed his sceen name. Back to old tricks, maybe? It seems that leopards can change their spots but their behaviour does not necessarily change. Perhaps after showing himself in true colours he will change his name yet again.

Well you are in a sorry state. You must have been bullied at school.

The OP asked how to power a varrox. I have one (i use my car battery as I can get v close to hives) and looked in the instruction book. Simple, it says greater than 40ah. The instructions are downloadable here
http://www.biovet.ch/en/images/stories/products/Varrox/PDF/Varrox-Verdampfer.pdf

So, I can both read and think. It is you that needs to think before describing manufacturer's instructions as "absolute rubbish". This is a dangerous piece of equipment. What qualifies you to go against them?

This forum is slowly dying. Mainly because many are fed up with your nasty rantings. If you have valid points to make, why not exercise some manners in doing so?

Regrettably this type of argument has been played out with you many times here these past few years with various posters. For some reason you have the backing of the owner. Strange but true.

This is my last post on this issue.

In my opinion, that statement is tripe.

:iagree:

although maybe people are a bit fed up with the pick on RAB regardless brigade - If you don't like his style of posting, stick him on ignore - some people like living in a blissful state of ignorance :D

Anyone know the answer to my questions above....about using solar chargers?

Back