Post swarm advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabby15

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hive 1 swarmed Sunday. Captured and put into a national brood box with two frames of food (one from each of other hives) and starter strips on three frames and full foundation on rest. QE top and bottom, they spent yesterday collecting pollen and so I hope they will stay and become hive 3. Pretty sure prime swarm but did not see the queen.
I knocked down all but one QC in hive 1. Did not see any that looked like they had hatched.

My and husbands plan - all comments welcome

1. Hive 3 Remove bottom QE today. Bit worried HM may be on it so any practical suggestions? Was going to place brood box onto the lid whilst we removed it but should We just lift slightly and slide QE out? Should we then leave it alone until weekend?

2. Check Hive 1 for any more QC. Is it too soon to do that? Only 2 days. The bees are taking pollen in so does that mean there is a queen already? Am torn between preventing casts and not wanting to upset a virgin queen.

1. Slide it out? Be sensible! Be practical and lift it off!
Use your eyes?
Invert and put it on top?
Shake bees onto frames (diagonals are 1.414 times the length of the sides).
Question: Why is there a Q/E on top?

2. Yes, to first question.
You should have left two good capped cells. A much later check will be needed to destroy any other cells, if drawn. If any had emerged recently (cast swarm) you would have already lost a prime a week ago. Pupation times should help you decide when to check without disturbing the emerging queen.

3. If you are not sure whether a prime, it would appear that all queen cells were capped. Unless, of course, you did not make that simple observation or connect it to simple bee logistics (they will not be making late queen cells if they already have bundles of them).

Rab

1. Thanks. QE on top as we were advised to do that. I thought it was odd but having asked the person in question for advice I was not going to ignore it.
2. Not going to get into the one or two cell question. Advice was to leave one. If it fails we have another hive with a laying queen we can use to get a frame of eggs.
3. As ever good advice from you but with a familiar tone to it. Not all were capped.

Hi tabby,
The general rule of thumb I use is to leave one queen cell if I have seen that it was charged and had larvae. I leave two if I have only ever seen them sealed. That way i hope that one of them will have something in!
I also mark the frame with the cells on, that way if I open the hive I only have to lift that frame out to check if one has been opened, torn down or .....nothing! As cazza says don't rely on pollen, it is a by product of collecting nectar.
It will all work out ok I am sure
E

Thank you. I will remember that going forward. Dont you still run the risk of a cast though if queens from both sealed cells emerge. Presumably worth the risk?
We did mark the frame - I remembered that much from the sessions at the association apiary.
We got the queen excluder out ok. And yes I am hoping it will all work out. Really appreciate the advice.

Not all were capped.

Pretty well certain it was a prime swarm then? Simple observation; simple deduction. Therefore able to leave one queen cell. Get thinking! Familiar tone for lack of thinking. Don't expect others to do your thinking all the time and your beekeeping will become easier.

Back