Possible dumb questions....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redpola

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

I've been a beekeeper now for exactly 7 days. I fed my colony when I unloaded them at my property and sited them, and left them to get their bearings. I'm pleased to say that they seem very happy and have clearly found a staggering amount of pollen judging by the size of the saddlebags they're wearing when they return to the hive!

Anyway, I've got to the point where I don't quite know what to do next - I inspected the hive for the first time today and all looks well, though the brood box seems to be filling quickly - the girls are just beginning to draw out the end frames (of 11) now.

This has panicked me somewhat as I knew the colony had been prepared for me but not that it was so well developed.

As a consequence I'm hesitant about what the next step is - I'm concerned that the brood will outgrow its box, and potentially make the bees unhappy? Is that crazy? I'm probably worrying unnecessarily and have read the hive wrongly, but sufficed to say here's where I am:

Should I:

- Add another brood box with frames and let the little darlings full that up while there's still foraging to be done (presumably this gives them better winter stores and a better chance of making it through to spring)

or

- Add a queen excluder and a super with frames for them to fill, so that I can later make the choice about maybe sneaking some honey for myself this year

Any suggestions?

Apologies for the daft questions - I've looked through my various books and there doesn't seem to be a simple answer to this.

Neil.

No such thing as a daft question, usually daft answers but hey.
Personally if it were me i would do the latter and use queen excluder and add a super.

One thing to maybe watch for at the moment is are your brood frames full of brood or full of nectar/honey. Lots coming in from brambles etc atm the bees will happily fill the available space forgetting to leave the queen room to lay.
How to avoid this is a good question that i will leave to the more experienced knowledgeable people on here.

For what its worth the bees aint read the books.

David

welcome redpola,are the bees in the brood box filling the outside of the frames with honey, and pollen or filling the whole frame? what is the area of brood covering ? if they are filling all the frames with pollen or honey add a super and the bees will movestores up into the super to give the queen more room to lay

How many frames of brood are there?

I don't know exactly. If I'm honest, I don't fully know what the question means. There are 11 frames of foundation in there and there appeared to be capped cells three frames in - I started at one end and got three frames through, was surprised that there was drawn out comb so far out (1st frame) so soon, and then my smoker went out and I decided not to go on through the whole colony without it. Yeah, I'm a chicken!

I'll probably have another go at inspecting tomorrow, see more clearly what's going on and be less paranoid about things, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Cheers,

Neil.

No such thing as a daft question, usually daft answers but hey.
Personally if it were me i would do the latter and use queen excluder and add a super.

One thing to maybe watch for at the moment is are your brood frames full of brood or full of nectar/honey. Lots coming in from brambles etc atm the bees will happily fill the available space forgetting to leave the queen room to lay.
How to avoid this is a good question that i will leave to the more experienced knowledgeable people on here.

For what its worth the bees aint read the books.

David

Sage advice. I think that's what I'm going to do. I don't think they can really be stuck for space in the brood box - far more likely that I'm simply being jumpy with my new acquaintances and reading them wrong.

Thanks!

Neil.

welcome redpola,are the bees in the brood box filling the outside of the frames with honey, and pollen or filling the whole frame? what is the area of brood covering ? if they are filling all the frames with pollen or honey add a super and the bees will movestores up into the super to give the queen more room to lay

As you can see from my other replies I'm not in a position to answer that, having aborted today's (and my first) inspection.

I'll hopefully get better at it, and know more tomorrow!

Thanks,

Neil.

redpola when you check tomorrow post on here what you see in the hive eg full frames of brood, capped wax [pollen ) etc how much brood is covering the frames and how many frames and we will be able to answer some of your questions, take it easy..:)

Neil

It sounds like your colony is doing well and almost all the foundation in your brood box is now drawn into comb. What is being stored in this comb may be brood, (that is eggs, grubs, and capped pupae) honey (ripe and capped, or open and being filled/ripened) and some pollen.

The year is moving on, and I suggest that you go for an excluder and super. (You will need to do this at some stage whatever.) See how they go at drawing comb there. You will be giving them the option to store honey outside the brood box and even move it from the brood box to the super if they need more space for brood. You will also be giving them more space so that they are not too cramped.

You can decide later if there are enough stores for you to take a share.

Good luck!

If you have the time take some photos of the frames so that you can look at these at your leisure and not have to worry about all the other things. You can then look in close up and zoom in etc and look for the queen etc all in the comfort of your living room.

If you can number eack frame on the side of the top bar with a pen or pencil then next time you take a phot you can see the development of the frame.

Phill

Don't worry about first time nerves - it will get better. I was a complete jelly last year (my first) but persevered and this year am much more confident.

Keep going and good luck.

By the way, where in the country are you?

Where are you.

Welcome to the Forum and beekeeping.

Where abouts in the UK are you? If you are anywhere near Nottingham you would be welcome to visit my Apiary and we can go over supering up etc.

If not near me you may have a fellow forum member near you who could help?

:iagree:
Neil

It sounds like your colony is doing well and almost all the foundation in your brood box is now drawn into comb. What is being stored in this comb may be brood, (that is eggs, grubs, and capped pupae) honey (ripe and capped, or open and being filled/ripened) and some pollen.

The year is moving on, and I suggest that you go for an excluder and super. (You will need to do this at some stage whatever.) See how they go at drawing comb there. You will be giving them the option to store honey outside the brood box and even move it from the brood box to the super if they need more space for brood. You will also be giving them more space so that they are not too cramped.

You can decide later if there are enough stores for you to take a share.

Good luck!

Update

Hi all,

I did a much more thorough inspection today as my confidence was much better and my shakes much less. The bees were obviously perturbed but I was happy to just work around them and let them get on with it, rather than being driven off. That said, my smoker again went out and I abandoned after about 8 frames. That said, I had started at the other side so I've now inspected all frames.

I didn't spot her majesty but saw plenty of capped brood and pollen stores. One frame had quite a few drone cells to my eyes but all looked like it was "normal".

I and am considerably happier about the available space in the brood box! I also bunged a QE on and a super for them to be having a go at.

I'm a little happier and a little more experienced.

Thanks for all the advice!

Neil.

thanks for the update I was wondering what was happening. It sounds like you are a little nervous , take your time ,try to keep calm too. well done , the more you experience you have on watching what is happening in the hive the more you will learn.

thanks for the update I was wondering what was happening. It sounds like you are a little nervous , take your time ,try to keep calm too. well done , the more you experience you have on watching what is happening in the hive the more you will learn.

Hands up anyone who wasn't nervous at first! :D

Take a garden spray bottle or similar...one which gives a light misting. When checking bees in warm weather this is often all that's needed for many things....and for backing up the smoker going out or for firing into the air if you're not comfortable with the attentions from flying bees. Many people add a little peppermint oil or similar.

Redpola
Just keep cracking on at it - the first (and second, third and maybe fourth) inspections can be a bit nerve wracking - my first inspection, on my own with no help was the first time I'd ever been near the hive now I love it, (no gloves or anything)
Always have a plan before you start the inspection as to what you want to do and expect to see, it's easy to get flustered and panic/lose your way half way through.
I had problems with the smoker too at first so one day I just practiced lighting it with no intention of going to the hive. Find a fuel that suits you as well as the bees and take your time to get it going strongly before you start - more than once I've found the smoker is going better after I've finished the inspection than during, so it pays to have a bit of patience.
I use a mixture of dried rotten wood and raw cotton waste - I think there is a thread on here about smoker fuel.
I also now to try and go to my BKA apiary when I get the time so there's plenty of people of all experience levels to share in the inspection and help with any queries.

If you can do so, find another beginner beek to come and stand by while you do an inspection ( to hold the smoker is a good excuse) and explain to them what you're doing and why, as you do it. It slows you down, calms you down to have the support, and makes you really think, especially when they ask questions. I find it also helps to write out a list of what I want to do and to look for beforehand. Anything that slows you and calms you is good, and the bees will probably respond by behaving better too. ( PS they'll probably think you're a real expert, which helps on the confidence thing too!)

If you can do so, find another beginner beek to come and stand by while you do an inspection ( to hold the smoker is a good excuse) and explain to them what you're doing and why, as you do it. It slows you down, calms you down to have the support, and makes you really think, especially when they ask questions. I find it also helps to write out a list of what I want to do and to look for beforehand. Anything that slows you and calms you is good, and the bees will probably respond by behaving better too. ( PS they'll probably think you're a real expert, which helps on the confidence thing too!) ;)

Back