Pond clearing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Long shot here.
Hubby wants to clear out some of the dead vegetation that has built up on the bottom and is looking,in vain, for an implement to do it with.
He says it looks like a fork/rake with the tines bent at 90˚ half way along but he doesn't know what it's called.
Has anybody a clue?

How many tines does it have, EHB - 4, like a fork?
I have something here which sounds like your description

If your pond has a rubber membrane to retain water, a fork will puncture it. Result: no pond.

I use a 1 meter long pole - broom handle - with a child's fishing net - the ones with wire surround and mesh and dredge the bottom..(You obviously need a strong mesh and wire)..

Don't try and fill the net: little and often is best. It is surprising how heavy a mix of mud, water and rotted vegetation is...

Watch out for frogs and other beasties hibernating in the mud at the bottom.

I am waiting until mid Feb to do our annual pond clearance for that very reason..

It's a natural pond on clay some 10 x 30 metres and perhaps a metre and a half at the deepest point.
Can I add,there's a lot of short reed, covering maybe 80%. We want to clear some of it too which means pulling it up by the roots....hence the need for a robust fork.
There has been talk of glyphosate but I'd rather not.
We are at the planning stage and realise it's too early in the year.
Luminos.....hubby says yes....four. Can you post it please :)

Don't know if it helps, but the best I found for doing ours was a plastic leaf rake, but then we do have a plastic liner. It works well on dragging up all sorts of decaying vegetation.

How about getting something like this..........
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhVK9MvDc10[/ame]

manure drag

Hi
I am pretty sure the tool you are looking for is called a "manure drag"; Spear and Jackson do a couple of versions and it is used for raking manure into a heap or clearing ponds and ditches. In America/Canada they call it a manure hook, in Ireland we call it a "Sheugh cleaner".
I am sure you could get it online or from a good agricultural tool supplier.
Good luck and I recommend 2 duck eggs for your breakfast before starting, you will need them!!!
Alan

On our small pond I remove reeds with (gloved) hands and a felco secateur to cut the worst bits of roots.

Brute force and cunning has much going for it :)

I used to clear mine each spring using an anglers metal framed landing net. Dug this about 5 years ago and moved my fish and filled the garden pond in. This one doesnt seem to need cleaning...........just have to find it though after the recent wet summer.
Pete D

Alan...thanks that's it.
And thanks, Luminos.......at least you know what yours is called now. Do you have a pond though?
Madasafish.....gloved or no I like to be able to see what yukky things I might be touching and our pond is too deep.
Pete, I hope your pond surfaces some day.

Meanwhile the internet shop for this tool starts.

Alan...thanks that's it.
And thanks, Luminos.......at least you know what yours is called now. Do you have a pond though?
Madasafish.....gloved or no I like to be able to see what yukky things I might be touching and our pond is too deep.
Pete, I hope your pond surfaces some day.

Meanwhile the internet shop for this tool starts.

It's called a "griffe" here, but I didn't know what it was in English.
Several ponds here, too big to use anything other than a vehicle with caterpillar tracks, to clear.
:)

Back