Polystyrene v Cedar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find things made out of plastic go brittle after a while
Usually because many/most plastics are photodegradable and deteriorate in sunlight, polypropylene ropes are a good example of this, they need replacing after a few years, you can see them getting 'furry' after a while and eventually get friable and can crumble in your hands

Usually because many/most plastics are photodegradable and deteriorate in sunlight, polypropylene ropes are a good example of this, they need replacing after a few years, you can see them getting 'furry' after a while and eventually get friable and can crumble in your hands
Yes, that's very true, UV will knock it around big time, but when I looked into it, apparently it happens irrespective of UV exposure...the plastomers still come out.

Propolis will take care of that.
This study found 2979 unique compounds present in and migrating from plastic.
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.est.1c01103Not all places around the world can recycle polystyrene plastic. Poly hives are popping up like mushrooms here in Tas., but can't be recycled. The internet and this forum go all around the world, but not everywhere has the facilities you have in the UK.

Has anyone tried to make a poly hive with recycled materials? Or quesstimated how long a poly hive lasts? Both issues can contribute to the wood/poly debate.
I startedwith polyhives in 1977 as advised by the college advisor Bernard Mobus in Aberdeen. I bought two back then - German manufacture and have about 10 or 11 now of different manufacturers but all compatible. I still have the original two and their supers. I dropped one super once and gorilla glue stuck it back together, I have had not one disintegrate. A mouse got into one and chewed a wall and sorted it with a patch of plywood. If you are a bit heavy handed with the hive tool any dent can be cut out square with a Stanley blade and the cut out replace with a piece of wood stuck in with Gorilla glue. I had contemplated glueing a sliver of wood on the bottom of boxes should things get bad but have never needed to do it. However I do paint them every two years with dark brown masonry paint which I am convinced keeps the UV out. Cillitt Bang black mould remover to sterilise though I am going to try hypochlorite this year to see if it is cost effectrive. Don't worry about longevity it isn't an issue. As I said between 12 years and 46 years old now and in better condition than me.................

In my garden, next to my Abelo poly hives, is my hot composter. It's made of expanded polypropylene. The walls are slightly thicker than the hives of course, but the temperature inside is 50 degrees C, and will be throughout winter, driven entirely by the heat produced by decomposition. Next to that are ordinary plastic compost bins (not cedar of course). Inside they're freezing. That is proof enough for me.

Poly hives are popping up like mushrooms here in Tas., but can't be recycled
By the time those boxes are ready to be recycled the facility to recycle will have arrived. Give the box 50 years at a minimum, but ask also what will determine the need to recycle a poly box? If dropped it will break and can be glued; if eaten by rodent it can be filled; if painted, the UV will not affect it.

Fifty or so years is just the current known period of use, and after another fifty we may see that the need to recycle is unnecessary, that it certainly ought to be so, and will certainly not be as our current imagination dictates.

In this respect the poly hive will be seen as durable, a facet of human consumption which we have been trained to believe is anathema. After all, how would capitalism thrive without repeat consumers? I bought a toaster in 1985 for £40 and used it yesterday, and in that period fitted two sets of elements. During those 37 years others will have bought 9 nine toasters, throwing each away as in-built obsolesence arrived.

Durability ought to guide our future consumption, but while advertising is allowed to oil the wheels of vanity and thoughtless desire for the new, efforts to reduce environmental damage way into the future will be compromised.

Forty years ago I drove a Morris Minor, a miracle of durable engineering, and today a 1975 Land Rover Series with no heater. These tools were designed to do a job for a very long time, will not need to be recycled and are economical to maintain; I venture that the poly hive will be seen in a similar light, and last a lifetime.

Next time you put the kettle on (or need to buy another) have a read of this piece, written to celebrate architect Charles Ware, restorer of the Georgian house and Morris Minor, prophet of durability and 40 years ahead of his time.

https://driventowrite.com/2015/10/31/the-durable-car-morris-minor-charles-ware/

By the time those boxes are ready to be recycled the facility to recycle will have arrived. Give the box 50 years at a minimum, but ask also what will determine the need to recycle a poly box? If dropped it will break and can be glued; if eaten by rodent it can be filled; if painted, the UV will not affect it.

Fifty or so years is just the current known period of use, and after another fifty we may see that the need to recycle is unnecessary, that it certainly ought to be so, and will certainly not be as our current imagination dictates.

In this respect the poly hive will be seen as durable, a facet of human consumption which we have been trained to believe is anathema. After all, how would capitalism thrive without repeat consumers? I bought a toaster in 1985 for £40 and used it yesterday, and during that period fitted two sets of elements. During those 37 years others will have bought 9 nine toasters, throwing each away as in-built obsolesence arrived.

Durability ought to guide our future consumption but while advertising is allowed to oil the wheels of vanity and thoughtless desire for the new, efforts to reduce environmental damage way into the future will be compromised.

Forty years ago I drove a Morris Minor, a miracle of durable engineering, and today a 1975 Land Rover Series with no heater. These tools were designed to do a job for a very long time, will not need to be recycled and are economical to maintain; I venture that the poly hive will be seen in a similar light, and last a lifetime.

Next time you put the kettle on (or need to buy another) have a read of this piece, written to celebrate architect Charles Ware, restorer of the Georgian house and Morris Minor, believer in durability and 40 years ahead of his time.

The recycling doesn't really work like that because already many of those poly hives have probably been tipped into landfill for a variety of reasons ...say because a beekeeper has given up, died, moved interstate (can't move them out of Tasmania for biosecurity reasons), forgotten all about bees and can't be bothered anymore and so on. Out of all the polystyrene hives that have been made, how many do you imagine will actually exist here fifty years from now to be recycled? And who will pay for the facilities? We only have half a million people here and a largely primary industry based economy. Our emergency health system is in a bad way and there are lots of fiscal priorities. When I last took polystyrene to the tip I was advised that petrol tipped on it shrinks it down. In relation to recycling rates, a few years ago, Greenpeace estimations were that there is only 10 per cent nationwide recycling rate for packaging. The best way is not to buy it in the first place and then there is no issue about recycling. Upcycling is better. I've seen wooden pallets destined for the tip made up into beehive boxes here. That's excellent.

Plastic deteriorates without being in the sun. It doesn't matter if you paint it or not. The latest plastic thing to break here was the switch on my heat gun. Never seen the sun and shattered. Mind you, I bought it 25 years ago.:)

Last edited:
The recycling doesn't really work like that because already many of those poly hives have probably been tipped into landfill for a variety of reasons ...say because a beekeeper has given up, died, moved interstate (can't move them out of Tasmania for biosecurity reasons), forgotten all about bees and can't be bothered anymore and so on. Out of all the polystyrene hives that have been made, how many do you imagine will actually exist here fifty years from now to be recycled? And who will pay for the facilities? We only have half a million people here and a largely primary industry based economy. Our emergency health system is in a bad way and there are lots of fiscal priorities. When I last took polystyrene to the tip I was advised that petrol tipped on it shrinks it down. In relation to recycling rates, a few years ago, Greenpeace estimations were that there is only 10 per cent nationwide recycling rate for packaging. The best way is not to buy it in the first place and then there is no issue about recycling. Upcycling is better. I've seen wooden pallets destined for the tip made up into beehive boxes here. That's excellent.

Plastic deteriorates without being in the sun. It doesn't matter if you paint it or not. The latest plastic thing to break here was the switch on my heat gun. Never seen the sun and shattered. Mind you, I bought it 25 years ago.:)
Apart from the fact that Poly hives have an almost indefinite life and disregarding the fact that Tasmania has a load of rich or lazy (possibly both) failing beekeepers that are discarding their redundant poly hives to landfill ....there's a lot of possibles and probables in your premise. I would be more worried about the vast amounts of single use polystyrene and plastic packaging that surround most white goods you buy these days ... that (as your whitegoods probably come from some distance away) are there to protect the product .... in their 10's of thousands. Stop worrrying about a few poly hives that are going to outlast you.

And for what it's worth ... poly can be easily cleaned and sterilised with hypochlorite if needs be ... comes up like new. No biosecurity issues. Red herrings must be popular down there ....

In this respect the poly hive will be seen as durable, a facet of human consumption which we have been trained to believe is anathema. After all, how would capitalism thrive without repeat consumers? I bought a toaster in 1985 for £40 and used it yesterday, and in that period fitted two sets of elements. During those 37 years others will have bought 9 nine toasters, throwing each away as in-built obsolesence arrived.

Durability ought to guide our future consumption, but while advertising is allowed to oil the wheels of vanity and thoughtless desire for the new, efforts to reduce environmental damage way into the future will be compromised.

Next time you put the kettle on (or need to buy another) have a read of this piece, written to celebrate architect Charles Ware, restorer of the Georgian house and Morris Minor, prophet of durability and 40 years ahead of his time.

I agree with your sentiments Eric but cost often comes into the equation. The material cost for one of my complete hand made cedar hives is about £40 (Everyone knows labour for making hives is free 🤣) and I expect them to last 20-25 years (some are still almost perfect after 8 years)
With Abelo hives starting at £175 I recon I get double the bang for buck out of my hives.
Obviously the main advantage of the poly hive is it’s greater “R” value, hence my quest previously mentioned to find my target value so I can boost my cedar hives with repurposed insulation.
I already have some cedar/PIR hybrids but have nothing to compare their values against.

With Abelo hives starting at £175 I recon I get double the bang for buck
If a poly yields 15% more honey than wood, how long would the expensive Abelo tortoise take to catch up with the cheaper hare named Neil?

If a wood colony produced a surplus of 23kg, the poly equivalent would yield 26.45kg. The extra at my price of .0279/g would = £93.15, recoup the greater upfront cost quickly and yield similarly for the rest of its life, which so far is 50+ years and counting. Tortoise wins (again).

Latest posts

Back